Joomla upgrade

apps

Hello all,

I would like to upgrade to Joomla 1.0.13.
It looks simple enough, all I have to do is re-install my templates and add ons.
I also assume that I have to replace all of my images.

I have backed up my old site.

Will I have my website back after the upgrade?
Do I have to import any DB’s?
Do I have to start from scratch?

Can anyone tell me the proper procedure and what to expect?
I do not have any extensions that are listed as incompatible.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TIA
Nick

Nick,

It would hep me answer you more accurately if you tell us whether you installed Joomla! yourself or used the DH “one-click” robot, what version of Joomla! you are upgrading from, and how comfortable you are working in the shell. :wink:

–rlparker

Thanks for the reply.
I am using Joomla 1.0.12 Stable. I installed it with the DreamHost One Click Install and It is running smoothly with no problems that I am aware of.

I am new to Joomla, I have been working with it since June of this year.

I am fairly computer savvy but have no programming experience.
I am not too comfortable working in the shell.
If I’m told exactly what to do I can change php files.

I plan to upgrade with Dreamhost via One Click upgrade.

I have a clone of my website running on my Mac OSX localhost. I tried to upgrade manually by copying the upgraded files over, but it didn’t work. I could not access the local site.

Nick

Since you used the “one-click” installer, you can upgrade to Joomla! 1.0.13 very easily using that same installer.

Just go to the “one-click” section of the panel and select “upgrade” for the Joomla! installation involved; the installer will do the rest (including placing your “old” installation into a backup folder “automagically”).

You will not need to do any database upgrading, as there are no changes to the database, and you “upgraded” site should work just fine. You may have to “copy over” your custom images and template changes, but you may not (depending upon whether the “one-click” overwites anything in those directories).

If you do, it is easy to do via FTP or via the shell - you just copy the contents of the appropriate template or image folder from your backup (or the backup DH creates for you) in to the “new” Joomla! directory structure at the appropriate place). In short, you do not have to “start from scratch”.

There is a “revert” mechanism provided by the “one-click” robot so that, if something “borks”, you can easily put things back the way they were (the email you will receive informing you of the successful upgrade detail how to do that).
Hopefully, I’ve answered all your questions; it should work a lot “smoother” than your local system upgrade went! :wink: .

–rlparker

Thanks for the info.
I’m going to try the upgrade tomorrow a.m.
I’ll let you know how it goes.

Nick.

I succeeded in upgrading my installation using OneClick Install and all went smoothly. I didn’t even have to replace templates, modules, or components.
There was one catch, I took my site offline before I upgraded and when I tried to login I couldn’t get past the “Site Offline” message.
I contacted my ISP (DreamHost) support and they fixed it immediately. Hats off to DreamHost.

I also backed up the site using JoomPack, reinstalled it on my localhost and it now works fine.

Many Thanks,

Nick

Thanks for the follow-up, Nick. I’m glad it’s all working well! :slight_smile:

–rlparker