Joomla upgrade

apps

Hi,

A new release of joomla was just made available on DH. Has anyone upgraded to it, and if so, any issues? Is there any doc on the steps necessary to upgrade?

I have upgraded several installations, and they all were completed without any trouble. :wink:

If you created your Joomla! installation via the “one-click” system, you can also upgrade using the same system - just go to the panel and select the upgrade (I can’t imagine what documentation that might need, as it is simpler than simple).

If you are updating manually, instructions are available on the Joomla! website (joomla!.org), though that process is also very simple.

If you are doing a manual upgrade and have read the upgrade instructions that are available but still need help, post back with a specific problems and I’m sure posters here can help.

–rlparker

Thanks. I upgraded my dev site, which was configured as offline, but now when I go to my admin login page, it gives the offline message, so I can’t login.

Did the admin login url change?

The url should not have changed at all - make sure you have cleared your cache in you browser, and try again (the browser is most likely caching the “offline message” page). :wink:

–rlparker

Nope. Cleared all cache’s and flushed my dns.

Should he admin login page ever be cached? That doesn’t make any sense to me…

Well, it depends upon what you mean by “the login page”, and while it probably shouldn’t be “cached” (as in Joomla!s built-in caching ability), browsers often cache pages.

It occurs to me that I don’t know where you are trying to “log-in”; are you trying to login via “http://yourdomain.tld/administrator/” ?

You need to login there first, and then “put your site back online” to get the “front end” logon dialog.

–rlparker

Exactly - that’s what I’m trying to do, and I’m getting the maintenance message, so I can’t login as admin.

That is truly strange behavior :frowning: . May I suggest that you pass the url of your Joomla! installation (just the url, no credentials) to me via PM, so I can take a look from my end. I’m still thinking something must be cached somewhere, and I’d really like to eliminate that possibility before trying to figure out what else may be happening.

–rlparker

Found the issue. Apparently, issues with this version and Community Builder. Lots of rants going around…

I’ll try to back it out. Thanks for the help anyway.

Ah! Yep! several of the “bridges” and components that share login info are tweaky thanks to some new security changes in the login; hopefully you can get it sorted.

–rlparker

[quote]I have upgraded several installations, and they all were completed without any trouble.

If you created your Joomla! installation via the “one-click” system, you can also upgrade using the same system - just go to the panel and select the upgrade (I can’t imagine what documentation that might need, as it is simpler than simple).[/quote]
I assume we’re not talking 1.5 yet, are we? I’m dreading that upgrade because it is my understanding that it will not be a one-click. I notice that there is a release candidate of 1.5 mentioned on the Joomla boards.

I will wait it out a bit until there is a stable release and some user experience with the upgrade has been published.

From what I can see it is not going to be easy relative to my experience and level of competence in this area. Is there anything I should do now to prepare for 1.5?

Yes, Joomla! 1.5 will be a different beast, and will require more of a “migration” than an upgrade. That said, I am hopeful that it will be relatively painless, as considerable work has been done (and is continuing) on a “migration” script that will do most (if not all) of the necessary stuff “automagically”.

Of course, any site that is heavily dependent upon extensions (Component, modules, mambots) will have another whole set of issues to potentially deal with, as those extensions will have to be compatible with 1.5, and many will have to be updated.

I have installed the latest Beta of 1.5 (though I have not yet tested the RC1 release candidate), and it is very nice.

We will just have to wait and see how well the migration script develops. :wink:

–rlparker