Joomla SEO and .htaccess with transfer from Win32 to DH

I have a Joomla (1.5.10) site that I am trying to transfer from a Dedicated Windows server to DH. I copied the entire site over and exported my database to a script and have it up and running on DH server using a temporary domain (.net instead of our usual .org). When I have the built-in Joomla SEO options turned off the site works perfectly. However when I turn them on, all of the menu links seem to take you to the main index page. The URL in the browser address bar shows the URL it should be displaying, but the content loaded in the window is the sites main index page.

Example:
You click on the Calendar menu
The Address bar shows domain.com/calendar
But it displays the content of domain.com/ in the window.

The .htaccess file is the standard canned htaccess.txt one that ships with Joomla. I tried doing a one click install to the same domain and the SEO works perfectly, and the .htaccess file is the same as the one i’m already running on my non-working site.

Any ideas? I don’t see anything significant in the access or error logs.

check the encoding of the .htaccess file. you want ANSI, not UTF-8, and you probably want unix line endings for good measure.

if the one-click install .htaccess is working, why not copy it over and use it?

Tried that, but no luck. Moved that One-Click version of the .htaccess file to a back up directory through the shell, deleted all the other joomla files, moved my backup of my site back in there and copied the known working .htaccess in there over the existing one but I get the same results.

Any details from the logs?

Assuming the .htaccess is doing it’s job, I’d guess that Joomla is not expecting what it’s getting, i.e. Joomla is not configured for SEO URLs. I haven’t used Joomla in a while, but I think those settings are stored in the DB, right? If you move your Joomla files from an installation that’s not configured for pretty URLs to a new place, it will still be using the same DB.

In short, ensure that not only .htaccess is working correctly, which I suspect it is, but also ensure that Joomla is expecting the rewritten URLs.

Access Log after clicking on the Calendar link.
x.x.x.x - - [22/Nov/2011:12:32:44 -0800] “GET /calendar.html HTTP/1.1” 200 11534 “http://www.domain.com/calendar.html” “Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64) AppleWebKit/535.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/15.0.874.121 Safari/535.2”

Nothing in the error log except a couple of references to a image that that no longer exist (something that needs to be cleaned up in the template)

Joomla is writing out all of the links properly, for example the calendar link points to ‘/calendar.html’ instead of ‘index.php?option=com_gcalendar&view=gcalendar&Itemid=525#year=2011&month=11&day=22&view=month’

Apache is receiving a request for /calendar.html and returning 200 (OK), but it appears that the content of index.php or the “main page” is being sent…

Any Joomla wizards out there that think they can resolve this and want to make a few bucks? I really need to get this moved over…