Joomla questions

I have installed Joomla and thanks to dreamhost for making it a breeze even for a newbie like me.

Now Joomla is telling me that: Following PHP Server Settings are not optimal for Security and it is recommended to change them: PHP register_globals setting is ON instead of OFF

How do I do it? I use webftp at ferrari.dreamhost.com. Help

Q2. Do I have to use webftp for uploading content on Joomla? Or Joomla will upload the content and I don’t need to use webftp? I’m completely dumb with this ftp thing!!

http://www.ranjanblog.com

[quote]Now Joomla is telling me that: Following PHP Server Settings are not optimal for Security and it is recommended to change them: PHP register_globals setting is ON instead of OFF[quote]This indicates that your domain is running PHP4; the Dreamhost installation of PHP5 does not have this problem, as register_globals are “off” in PHP5.

The easiest way to fix this problem (and you should!) is to just set your domain to use PHP5 instead of PHP4 -= this is done n the control panel -> Manage Domains screen -> “Edit” link adjacent to the domain in question. check the “radio button” for PHP5, save, and yo will be good to go. :wink:

YOu will now find that Joomla! complains/warns about Magic Quotes - you can safely ignore that warning; to change that would require installing your own version of PHP or other more complicated workaround.

You don’t need to use webftp with Joomla!, though you will likely still find an ftp client useful for some things. I recommend use a real ftp client instead. THere are many suggestion in the DH wiki.

Welcome to DH and good luck!

–rlparker

Thanks. But may I ask what are the uses of ftp when I’ve installed Joomla already?

http://www.personalfinance201.com

You are welcome! Actually, there are potentially several reasons you might still want/need to use FTP after you have installed Joomla!:

1. You might want/need to upload (for subsequent linking) a file larger than the 8 MB that DH’s PHP (under which Joomla! runs) allows - for instance, a largish (10 MB, for instance?) .PDF or media file. Note that neither Joomla!'s Media Manager, nor the WebFTP program available on DH will let you do this (it also runs on PHP and has that upload file size limit). :wink:

2. You may want to upload “many” images, or other files in a quick and efficient manner - the Joomla Media Manager allows you to upload a single file at a time while an FTP client will let you upload whole bunches of files at once.

3. When/if you need to manually upgrade, or in some other way manipulate, your Joomla! installation (files, data, etc.) - maybe a backup, for instance? - you will need to use FTP (to upload groups of changed files and/or download copies of everything for safe backup purposes - again, find it is much easier and faster to use a “real” FTP client than the DH WebFTP installation.

There are probably more, but these three immediately come to mind, and are each “real world” situations you are likely to encounter.

–rlparker

the use of FTP is to upload files from local machine to remote server. rlparker has given the detailed explanation of benefits of using it.

I only want to add one point. The use of FTP is to synchronize the files between local machine and remote machine.

If you have a website, or Joomla in your computer, you can upload them to remote server like your web directory in DH. If you make any changes on the files on local machine, you can simply synchronize or re-upload the modified files to remote server.

I hope I did not confuse anybody.

Save $97 with promo code: [color=#CC0000]97YES Sign Up NOW[/color]