Joomla one click install problem

wordpress

In my sites main directory I used to have a drupal site. I took it down tonight because I don’t have a PHP programming degree and nobody can seem to help me over on the drupal site or anywhere else in plain English. Instead, I decided to go with Joomla and utilize the one click Dreamhost install. Problem is, I have a folder in my main directory and in that folder is a wordpress blog. I did this because I formerly had a drupal site at www.mysite.com, so the wordpress was put in a www.mysite.com/ri folder.

When I tried to install Joomla into my www.mysite.com main directory I got this error message e mailed to me.

“The problem was directory /home/username/mysite.com is not empty! Please re-install, specifying an empty (or new) directory.”

Do I really have to make a new folder or clear out my wordpress blog? If so, that’s upsetting because I want Joomla to appear upon going to my sites main directory.

Can anyone help me out here?

I’ll suggest you to install joomla in a new empty folder.

I don’t quite understand. It seems you already have a blog in your main directory. And now you want joomla in your main directory.

However, you can still install joomla in a new folder and redirect user to joomla when they come to your site.

There are many ways to redirect users. You can try http://wiki.dreamhost.com/index.php/Htaccess

Save [color=#CC0000]$97[/color] (max discount) on dreamhost plans by using promo code: [color=#CC0000]97CRAZY[/color].

Hi, thank you for replying and I’ll clarify more.

My wordpress blog is in my sites main directory, however, it is in its own folder so you must go to www.mysite.com/ri to visit the word press blog. With Joomla, I want it to be located at www.mysite.com, but its telling my I need to put a new folder in that directory. I had put drupal in that directory without a problem, but that was a manual install. I didn’t understand why it wouldn’t let me put Joomla in the same directory and thus be located at www.mysite.com and not www.mysite.com/joomla, or whatever I name the folder.

However, if I can redirect the folder to my domain name, I guess that would work also.

If you manually install Joomla!,as you did Drupal before, you can put it in any directory you want (including your /home/username/yoursite.tld/ directory) whether or not there are already any files or directories there (as long as there are no directory/filename conflicts). The “must be empty” requirement is a characteristic of the DH “one-click” system, I assume to prevent any existing directories that might have the same names as a directory Joomla! requires for m being overwritten. :wink:

As there are actually no directory name confilcts between these two applications, alternately, you can simply “move” the existing “WordPress” directory (home/username/yourdomaintld/ri?) to a location “above” your “web directory” (for instance, to /home/username/ri), temporarily, use the one-click installer to install Joomla!, and then “move” the “WordPress” directory back to it’s original location.

Either of these scenarios will work just fine, and is a much better solution than using re-directs to make various directories reachable via various urls.

If you really want to rely on the “one-click” installer, avoid the issue you are dealing with now, and avoid potential conflicting .htaccess files while using various one-click packages, in the future you might consider using your “base” web directory for your “main site” (like Joomla!) and using sub-domains (free at Dreamhost) for things like your blog (blog.yourdomain.tld) and gallery (gallery.yourdomain.tld), etc.

–rlparker