Joomla Menu Config?

apps

Hi,
I am wondering if anyone who is familiar enough with Joomla!
can tell me the rhyme or reason to the way the standard joomla menus appear and disappear. For instance, the menus are ‘main menu’ ‘resources’ and ‘key concepts’

sometimes you will see all three and sometimes you don’t. on the home page you will see all three, when you select an item under the menu ‘main menu’ such as FAQ, or The News, the menu key concepts disappears and the menu ‘resources’ remains…

how do i control what shows up or not. i want to modify these items of course but i really want these menus to always be visible regardless of the page being viewed.

i cannot find any answer to this in the joomla forums…
i guess i don’t really know how to phrase it…

as always, your gentle feedback is greatly appreciated.

Chunky

Can you provide a link to your site so that we can see what you are describing?

–rlparker

Sure, thanks !

http://www.dev.tradernick.net/joomla15a/

it’s basically the way they all start out…

Chunky

A\h! I see now what menus you are talking about! Now I understand what you are referring to, and why it is confusing.

[quote]I am wondering if anyone who is familiar enough with Joomla! can tell me the rhyme or reason to the way the standard joomla menus appear and disappear. For instance, the menus are ‘main menu’ ‘resources’ and ‘key concepts’… sometimes you will see all three and sometimes you don’t. on the home page you will see all three, when you select an item under the menu ‘main menu’ such as FAQ, or The News, the menu key concepts disappears and the menu ‘resources’ remains…
[/quote]
Well, I can give it a try. The example content that “ships” with a default Joomla! installation serves to demonstrate some of the functionality of the system. One of Joomla!'s features is the ability to have “modules” of content display on selected pages (all, pages, only some pages, only a single page, etc.). These “menus” are such modules, and the default Joomla! installation has them set up to demonstrate that you can assign them to be visible when you choose, by having certain of them configured to only display on certain pages.

You can control the display of these modules, and others, from within the Joomla! back-end (administrator) by using the “Extensions -> Module Manager” screen(s) from the menu across the top of the main Administration page. When you open the Module Manager, you will see a list of available modules and other information about them (Enabled, Order. Access Level, Position, Pages, Type, ID).

If you look at the “Pages” column, you will see that different modules are set to display on different pages. You change that behavior, and other aspects of the module (like the displayed title, etc.) for any given module item by editing the module item. To change what pages/menus on which a module is displayed (in this case, the module is a “menu”), select the appropriate radio button and menu items under the Menu Assignment section of the editing screen (below the “Details” section), and “save” the item.

For instance, to have that “Resources” menu module display on all pages, just edit the module from within the Extensions -> Module Manager, select the radio button for “All” from the “Menu Assignment” section, and save it.

–rlparker

THANK YOU…GREAT ANSWER…probably would have taken five years to never for me to get that one…

I have so many more questions…I am hoping that I will not wear out my welcome in this forum…thank you so much!

Chunky

You are most welcome, and I’m glad you found the answer useful. :slight_smile:

As a general rule, you are likely to find almost everything you ever wanted to know (actually more than you probably want to know) on the various Joomla.org pages, but that site is so large that sometimes searching it can be challenging.

It doesn’t help that they have just converted their huge forums system to a new forum software, so many of the links that google will provide in a search may be broken at present.

Besides the forums, the help.joomla.org site has some great stuff! :wink:

–rlparker

Hi,

I am facing a similar problem on my website www.organicfacts.net I have spent two full days trying to resolve this.

I want to display a few content pages in the menu only on select content pages (these are not static pages). I have elaborated this below.

I have a section “Health Benefits” with a category “Essential Oils” within this section. Within “Essential Oils” there are 42 content items - three examples are - “Marjoram Oil”, “Lavandin Oil” and “Lemongrass Oil”.

I added “Health Benefits” in the mainmenu, then “Essential Oils” in the mainmenu with Health Benefits as parent.

I then included a new menu “essentialoilsmenu” and added the above three content items through - Link - Content Item in the Content frame.

I then went to the module corresponding to essentialoilsmenu and set the pages / items to these three content items in the essentialoilsmenu and “Essential Oils” in the mainmenu.

When I click on Essential Oils (http://www.organicfacts.net/health-benefits/essential-oils/) I can see these three menu items. But when I click on any of them, I cant see them in the menu. The links to these three content items are
http://www.organicfacts.net/health-benefits/essential-oils/marjoram-essential-oil.html
http://www.organicfacts.net/health-benefits/essential-oils/lemongrass-essential-oil.html
http://www.organicfacts.net/health-benefits/essential-oils/lavandin-essential-oil.html

Also, I dont want to set the pages/items to All, because I dont want this menu to be displayed on all pages.

Do let me know if there is a solution to work on this. Any inputs would be of great help!

Thanks,
Kiran