Joomla content placement?

apps

I hope someone can help me…I have spent over 2 hours trying to figure it out…

I cannot get an article to go to the right side of the page…

My front page is perfect…
and, I need another page to have the exact same format and it did, but I did something I do not know what and now the article on the right has moved underneath the first article…

I wanted it to be 2 columns next to each other like on my home page…

Could somebody please tell me what to do…
my page in question is
http://www.lovelyplacetorent.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=36&Itemid=59

thank you … i am hoping when i wake up, some soul will have posted an answer for me…

thank you

Chunky

Unfortunately, we can only guess at what the “something” you did might have been, but what it resulted in was the loss of the display of the "Activities and Attractions: " section from the second column of that table.

To fix it, move that text into a table, in the second column of the table it is in.

–rlparker

well…i don’t understand that, can you re-phrase…
also, i did recreate the scene with a new section and category and it lined up the same.

i am using the blog/category layout and menu parameters are the same as the home page

Leading 1

Intro 4

Columns 2

Links 4

does this help you help me more ?

regarding the table…
are you saying to add a 2 column table underneath the intro article? and just delete the 2 separate articles…i am just afraid that it wont look exactly like the format on the home page…
thank you for your patience.

Chunky

[quote]i am using the blog/category layout and menu parameters are the same as the home page
the settings on the menu item parameters are the same as they are with the home page…

Leading 1

Intro 4

Columns 2

Links 4[/quote]

That’s fine, if that is what you want, but note that that has nothing at all to do with the layout in a single article - it only determines the layout of multiple articles when listed together on the page in the “blog/category” format.

[quote]regarding the table…
are you saying to add a 2 column table underneath the intro article? and just delete the 2 separate articles…i am just afraid that it wont look exactly like the format on the home page…[/quote]
Well, kinda! But now from reading your post, I’m wondering - did you create the first “page” by using multiple articles and having the “blog/category” page format create the layout for you (building what looks like a complete article out of several articles)?

If so, that is not the correct way to do that - you will end up with different “articles” that only combine into a single “page” when assembled with the “blog/category” format. Think about it for a minute, and I think you will see what I mean… Do you really want to have an article that is only the “Amenities” section of a given property? How will you keep it clear that the article belongs with a certain property? I suppose, to a degree, the “category” can accomplish this, but that is counterintuitive and as your site grows, this is likely to become an organizational disaster. It also renders useless the idea of managing the site as a collection of articles than can be moved, reassigned, reclassified, recategorized, etc as needed when the contents change. :wink:

It is better to create each property as a single article, and in that case, yes - putting a two column table beneath the intro text (not an article, but just text as a part of the overall article) is a much better way to do it, IMHO … and I think you should do that with the first article also (If you did it using multiple articles). You can certainly have the pages look the same, if you structure them the same way.

The “front” page complicates matters to some degree as it has it’s own set of parameters in addition to the article parameters, and they are unique to that “front” page.

Does that make any more sense?

–rlparker

OMG, YES, I was actually trying to layout the page for one article with multiple articles. When I looked at the content layout examples, that’s what I thought I was supposed to do…I saw the bullet points i needed, changed the respective articles and got the look I wanted on the front page without thinking about the stupidity of what i had done and actually marveled at the result…And how idiotic.

I did all kinds of searches on this and no wonder I didn’t find anything. Please don’t stop answering stupid questions, I swear they will stop…but not soon, most likely.

I guess the bright side is that A. you stopped the madness and B. I learned quite a bit trying to create this absurd layout.

Chunky

Ha ha ha! Good deal! You are welcome and I’m glad you have it sorted. You might save yourself a lot of frustration in the future if you take some time now and review some of the many Joomla! related tutorials out on the web.

There are many (even screencasts/videos), and some deal with Joomla! site structure and organization as well as content editing. :wink:

–rlparker