Jabber

Hey guys,
I was wondering if the Jabber server supported an IRC transport or something. Apologize if I’m totally off-track with Jabber, never really used it before :wink:

Stew.

I have used the Jabber server for IRC on several channels. Check the documentation for your Jabber client to see how to set it up. I used Fire but the setup was rather non-intuitive.

I’m curious as to how to do this.

As I understand it, the Jabber server needs to have an IRC Transport installed to support IRC chat.

For instance, I’d like to chat on #django which is on the Freenode network (I’m a total noob in this arena, so if I sound like I’m talking about teh Intraw3bz, it’s because I don’t know much about this stuff). I found an open server that let me do this through my Jabber client (Psi). But when I look at the transports for my Jabber server on dreamhost, I don’t see an IRC transport.

Does one need to be installed for the Dreamhost-ed Jabber server to work with IRC? Or am I not understanding how to use my Jabber client to connect to my Jabber server?

Yes.

wootindustries.com

Gee, that was helpful. Good luck with those clients over there at w00tz.

To expand upon that. knitsmitts was probably using a muti-protocol client like Adium or Gaim and thus was able to connect to IRC.

You are right when you say jabber needs an IRC transport. DreamHost currently only has three transports installed (msn,aim,yahoo).

You can’t add a transport yourself so you’re best bet would be to head over to the suggestion panel and vote on “Jabber-IRC transport.”

wootindustries.com

[quote]You can’t add a transport yourself so you’re best bet would be to head over to the suggestion panel and vote on “Jabber-IRC transport.”
[/quote]
Thank you for taking the time to post. I appreciate it.