Jabber uses

Hi,

I’m not a DH customer, but I’m considering it since my current hostnig is up in a few days… anyway, I’ll have some questions… so, here I go: Jabber first :slight_smile:

I really like this feature (I’m a jabber user for few years now), I’d like to know first of all is it possible to do extra things with the server or is it strictly for chatting. What I mean by extra things is like write a script in php that will msg users… or the other way round, read msg from users … I’m not that familiar of how it works inside but i dont want to use a full client on the server side, instead i’d like to see some ready functions to send msgs to users (maybe just add records to the database (?) - can it be that simple?).

ANother thing, I would like to hear about its up-time and if users have any problems with it (especially from users who use it every day).

What about extra transports, if I want to add a transport that is not present ? Possible ?

Regs
simon

Hello Simon,

I’m not a jabber pro, so another of the members here will hopefully help you.
What I can write about is the uptime. In an year overall, it isn’t 100%, nor 99,99999%. But is your site so sensitive?

2 days ago I setup a monitor service tracking one of my sites, and you can check the uptime there:

DreamHost 97 uptime

It’s 100% now, but of course it’s too early.

Bye!

DreamHost $97 discount code: 97promo «« Check other codes on DreamHost97.com
:slight_smile: All money from 90promo was given to Santa’s Helpers Charity :slight_smile:

I have a feeling that he was talking about jabber uptime :stuck_out_tongue:

Pay just [color=#CC0000]$22.40[/color] for 1 year Dreamhost hosting, use promo-code [color=#CC0000]MOJO97[/color]
Save [color=#CC0000]$97[/color] on all 1 and 2 year plans!! (Max saving on monthly plans too!!)

Yep, but I guessed that Jabber uptime would be the same… will it be down if your server is up? Of course it will be down if there is a general outage…

:slight_smile: All money from 90promo was given to Santa’s Helpers Charity :slight_smile:

Simon,

I don’t think that you can setup extra transports beyond what Dreamhost has installed already. The AIM transport works here. I haven’t used any of the others.

The Jabber server they are running is rather old, so there are (apparently) issues with the transports now and then. But in my few months with Dreamhost the Jabber service has been decent.

Hez

My uptime with jabber has been good. I use it daily and rarely have problems with it.

Re transports - I know the Yahoo transport works but haven’t tried any others.

~Daisy

Thanks everyone for your answers so far.

Yes I did mean the uptime of jabber server. From my own experience I know there can be problems with its stability… depending on many factors, thats why I asked.

I’d very much like to hear about the other question (about other ways to use it)… hope there is someone who can shine some light here :slight_smile:
[or should I email DH support about it?]

Regards
simon

Hello again,

I think the support team will be quickier :slight_smile:

If you haven’t heard back from DH support, yes, it is possible to write scripts that login to an account and send and receive messages. Just make sure you set up a Jabber ID for the script to log in to (just like setting up a regular Jabber ID in the DH Panel). Also, if you’re using PHP, I’d look into class.jabber.php.

Thanks!! Thats exactly what I was looking for… :slight_smile: Now I just need some time to have a go at this.

TY!

Let me know if you have any questions – I’ve been working on some of this stuff myself, and it would be great to have someone to collaborate with.

Feel free to take this “love fest” to the programming area.

Wholly

It’s just another one of those things that’s “curious” about DreamHost. :slight_smile:

They need more support help.
Cut the code: [color=#00CC00]9999=$99.99 Off[/color]