Jabber transports

I have used the Control Panel to setup a Jabber user, and I have been able to successfully connect to it using the Windows version of Gajim. Ostensibly, I would like to use the service to chat with Gmail, AIM and other Jabber users; however, I have been unable to “discover” any additional services like an AIM transport.

The DreamHost Wiki says that transports should be available, and I was wondering if anyone was successfully using them. Anyone using an AIM transport with their Jabber service?

si-blog
Max discount on any plan with promocode SCJESSEYTOTAL

I’m guessing that one of these is true:

(a) nobody uses Gajim, or
(b) nobody uses Gajim with an AIM transport, or
© nobody wants to admit to using Gajim with an AIM transport.

I’d be grateful for any advice related to using transports with a DreamHost-provided Jabber account.

si-blog

I asked a similar question myself about using the DH Jabber purely for XMPP file transfers and not for chat. The response was very limited and I still haven’t written my pipes because of it. I’m guessing there aren’t many people doing this here - or at least not many people using Jabber and reading this forum.

I might have to badger support about it then. Sigh.

si-blog

The transports are poorly supported and often break upstream. Most people use an IM client that can itself connect to multiple IM networks. Have you tried: http://www.pidgin.im/ if gajim doesn’t support that?

I have indeed tried Pidgin, but I’ve been trying to avoid that approach because it locks me into a constant upgrade scenario. I started looking at this when I heard that AOL had setup a “test” XMPP server (xmpp.oscar.aol.com), but was disappointed to find out that it wasn’t working. I thought that using a transport would be viable until AOL had got their act together, so to speak.

si-blog

With the transport modules you are locked in to the exact same upgrade scenario, except the transports are not updated as quickly as the user IM clients and you have to wait for the updates to make it into DreamHost wide packages. If you use an IM client to connect to the various networks you will be much happier I assure you. =P

It seems that the workaround was to first download Pandion and connect to my Jabber service. Then I could use Pandion to add contacts utilizing the appropriate transports. Once completed, Pandion can be closed and I can talk to my contacts with my preferred client (Gajim). This did not solve the problem of why the DreamHost-offered transports did not appear accessible to the Gajim client, but it did mean I could at least get it working.

si-blog