Jabber not connecting

I am trying to connect to the jabber server. I tried this with gaim and psi and had no luck. Here is the output I am getting (on psi)

<?xml version="1.0"?>

<stream:stream xmlns:stream=“http://etherx.jabber.org/streams” xmlns=“jabber:client” to=“mydomain” >

<?xml version='1.0'?> myuser

stream:errorDisconnected</stream:error>

i definitely registered the user.
My JID: is user@mydomain
I have tried every combination of “Allow plaintext login”, “Send keep-alive”, and manually specify server (tried by ip, server name, my domain name, no special specify server, etc)

What am I doing wrong?

anyone able to help me out?

I had problems with Jabber as well. Technical support wasn’t able to help me, and in the end, I had to give up using it. They might as well not even advertise it as a feature, until they get it working properly.

Very disappointing isn’t it. They are still listed as a sponsor of Jabber.org I notice.

Server timeouts, dropouts in the middle of the day, no working transports. I don’t think it has been upgraded since they were installed.

I’m at the point where I am thinking of hosting my Jabber server on my ADSL connection. If only I had a static IP.

Zilch

I would contact support and see what they say. If they can’t fix it contact Dallas. He has been very helpful in fixing jabber issues for me. He fixed SSL and conferencing.

happylittlethings.com
Promo Code: WJD50 - $50.00 off any new DreamHost plan

None of the transports or S2S connectivity issues have ever even been looked at. (And yes I did contact Dallas and support about it). It would be nice if the Jabber support was a little less “ad-hoc”

Zilch.

Weren’t the jabber transports fixed with the Sarge upgrade? At least the MSN one should have been.

s2s? Server to server? Have you been having server to server issues? I talk to people on DH servers all the time and it works fine.

happylittlethings.com

Holly crap! You are right. All three transports I use (MSN/Yahoo/AIM) seem to be working.

That’s great (don’t get me wrong) but if they fixed it why didn’t they tell anyone? I gave up months ago trying it every day to see if it had become fixed. Tech support stopped replying. There are even two current suggestions which haven’t been marked as complete:

2005-06-28 Goodies - Jabber IM - Fix the jabber MSN transport.

and

2005-02-15 Goodies - Jabber IM - Fix the jabber Yahoo! transport.

I guess I can get my six credits back.

Zilch.

Something seems wrong with the config though (sigh). Rather than having user%hotmail.com@msn.mydomain.com, all the MSN users are showing up as user%hotmail.com@msn

Same thing for the Yahoo transport.

Zilch.

I don’t know why but that doesn’t look like valid XMPP to me. A normal log in should look something like this:

SENT: username
RECV: username4993D5A392D
SENT: michaelxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxResource
RECV:
SENT:

Edit: Sorry - the inital query does look right. Not sure why it’s disconnecting. Can you try with a newly created user?

PM me on jabber will at willscorner.net :slight_smile: I want you to look at somethings and then you can nag tech support or Dallas.

Edit:

This might be the problem:

I was reading the jabber config located here > http://jabberd.jabberstudio.org/1.4/doc/conf
happylittlethings.com

I would except your willscorner.net shows up as “Server Timeout” Messages bounce back. (These are the S2S issues I get constantly). Can you see aurora.gen.nz as online?

Zilch.

On the aurora.gen.nz you’re listed as offline.

I was able to connect to conferencing on your server though :slight_smile:

I also got your auth message last night from the test account.

happylittlethings.com

Hmm…I get this:

RECV: I am availableServer Connect Timeout

Note: Replaced @ with * in case spambots are snooping.

There does seem to be something screwy with the S2S stuff still.

Zilch.

This is browsing to your server:

SENT:
RECV: Server Connect Timeout

Zilch.

I wonder if it’s related to your specific server because I talk to people on different DH servers. :-/

happylittlethings.com

Maybe. Actually I was wondering if it was related to your specific server :stuck_out_tongue:

Currently I can see jeff from Dreamhost online, but everyone with a Jabber.org address is showing up as server timeout.

Very frustrating.

Zilch.

Yeah I can also see Jeff and Dallas, they can see me too.
I can see two users on different domains but same server.
I can also see and chat with jabber.org users.
And a bunch of none DH/Jabber.org users.

PM me if you want me to set you up with a Jabber account on my plan and see if you are still having the s2s issues.

The transport issues are in jabber.xml and that’s the same config on every server.

happylittlethings.com

[quote]Something seems wrong with the config though (sigh). Rather than having user%hotmail.com@msn.mydomain.com, all the MSN users are showing up as user%hotmail.com@msn

Same thing for the Yahoo transport.
[/quote]

Can you explain why you think this is an incorrect configuration? We don’t use the transports ourselves (we prefer multi-protocol IM clients instead) but when setting this all up I did verify that I was able to login to my own accounts on other networks and talk to my contacts. Is there some other functionality I missed?

• Dallas
  • DreamHost Head Honcho/Founder

Hi Dallas,

Thanks for fixing the transports - they do seem reliable now. Once this last issue is resolved are you able to remove the suggestions to get them fixed?

The transports should be (as everything is on the internet) fully qualified with a domain name. They do work as they are, but the transports display as ‘msn’ and ‘yahoo’ etc.

If you browse to one of my domains - say aurora.gen.nz - with a client that supports jabber browsing, you will see the transports listed as such:

users.jabber.org
conference.jabber.aurora.gen.nz
aim
yahoo

The first two are correct. The JUD is pointing to the jabber.org one which is fine, and the conference one is fully qualified (I would prefer to be able to remove the ‘jabber’ from the middle but whatever)

In comparison, browse to any other Jabber server on the internet… here is syndicon.de as an example:

users.syndicon.de
users.jabber.org
aim.syndicon.de
icq.syndicon.de
msn.syndicon.de
yahoo.syndicon.de
chat.syndicon.de

Notice how all the transports are fully qualified with the domain. This is important as if I wanted to (or indeed as I was required to when the dreamhost transports were broken) I could register with a syndicon.de transport. Now if my one was called ‘msn’ and the syndicon.de one was also called ‘msn’ my client would think that I was re-registering with the same transport, and promptly get confused.

Also, since previously the dreamhost transports were configured correctly, I have all my MSN users on my contact list as user%hotmail.com@msn.aurora.gen.nz. Now I have re-registered with the ‘new’ transports, it has re-added all my MSN contacts as ‘user%hotmail.com@msn’ so everything is duplicated. (Argh!)

I hope that answers the question. If not, let me know. I think it should be a simple configuration change to fix.

Zilch.