Jabber Account Registration

Is it possible to register/enable Jabber accounts with automation by writing a PHP script or something similar? Or is it possible to enable automatic registration from clients, instead of having to go through the control panel? I am interested in starting a community website where each user has an email account and Jabber account, but I do not want to have to manually enter them in each time.

[quote]I am interested in starting a community website where each
user has an email account and Jabber account, but I do not
want to have to manually enter them in each time.

[/quote]

This is a feature that we currently don’t support, but have had a few requests for (and I can definitely see the use of it). While I can’t promise anything, I’ll send a note to our dev guy responsible for our Jabber implementation for consideration.

• Jeff @ DreamHost
  • DH Discussion Forum Admin

bump

anything yet? I’ve just run a search through the forums on jabber and seems a lot of people would like to be able to edit the users outside of the panel. I am one of them =) One post mentioned something about semi success, think I’ll try it and see what happens.

Any more info on status would be appreciated.

[color=#0000CC]jason[/color]

I asked support this question:

“Is it possible to add Jabber accounts via an api or shell script”

The answer is: “at this moment: no”.

I’d like to have this feature added, so I voted up this suggestion

“2004-07-12 Goodies - Jabber IM Allow “open” creation of new Jabber users, rather than just through the web panel.”

at https://panel.dreamhost.com/index.cgi?tree=home.sugg&

It’s been 5 years, I don’t think it’s gonna happen :slight_smile:

[color=#0000CC]jason[/color]

so, age-old dilemma of everyone wanting to automate the addition of new accounts to the Jabber service?

I spent all night up at work trying to develop a suitable solution.

thus far what I have is a perl script which can be run securely via the server (either directly with ssh or telnet, or with the more efficient solution of setting it up as a chron job to run every hour or so)

on the to-do list before it is actually use-able as an a standalone script is:
-=if going the chron route=-
-get the new usernames from a file/database (to do multiple at a time/save bandwidth/cpu)
-check it with the usernames already in use (very easy)
-save a log of each success and email any erroneous setups to whoever

-=if going the ‘web-based’ approach=-
-I really don’t see how this can be done without leaving huge security risks open on your site…
-I am contemplating, tho…

anyways: if anyone wants more details on what it involves, or if they want a copy of what I have so far for their own usage, just let me know.