I've completely lost access to site

Hello -

I was trying to make some innocent changes to my website (update header image and favicon and reinstate a sidebar for widgets) and think I must have goofed up something in my functions.php or header.php. When I updated I had a warning screen and couldn’t get back in to fix it. What I thought was going to fix a problem by trying to access through FireFTP (which I hadn’t done in years,) I only made things worse and I’m not sure what it was I did. When I try to access my Wordpress site, now I’m getting this message:

Warning: mysqli_real_connect(): (HY000/1045): Access denied for user ‘traceycarpenterc’@‘apache2-kant.caprisun.dreamhost.com’ (using password: YES) in /home/traciloo/traceycarpenter.com/wp-includes/wp-db.php on line 1489

Warning: mysql_connect(): Access denied for user ‘traceycarpenterc’@‘apache2-kant.caprisun.dreamhost.com’ (using password: YES) in /home/traciloo/traceycarpenter.com/wp-includes/wp-db.php on line 1515

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/traciloo/traceycarpenter.com/wp-includes/wp-db.php:1489) in /home/traciloo/traceycarpenter.com/wp-includes/functions.php on line 3592
Error establishing a database connection

Any thoughts on where I should begin to fix this? Thank you!

If you have a recent local backup, copy back the files that you think you have changed. Use the timestamps on your files to see what’s changed recently

If you do not have a recent local backup, use the DreamHost panel to do a Restore of your domain from the Manage Domains page. Pick the option to Restore to a timestamped folder, such as /home/traciloo/traceycarpenter.com_053116. Then FTP to grab the files you need from the backup and put them on your current site.

Thanks. I tried restoring, but it didn’t work. I’m getting the same warnings.

Take a close look at your wp-config.php file to see if your database entries are correct.

And then change your mysql user and password, since you have declared that information publicly above.

You should be making these changes in a child theme. Then, if you do have these sorts of issue, you can just delete the child theme via FTP and the site will reset to the default theme (TwentySixteen).