It's always a rough start

Well, I took a chance and signed up for two years… Hopefully I won’t regret it.

It says in my control panel that before transferring my domains to DH, I need to set their nameservers to point at DH. That may be a problem, as my old host has all my domains locked and aren’t being very co-operative about either changing the dns information or allowing me to do it myself.

Switching hosts is such a hassle, I really hate it because it seems that every time I want to change webhosts, as soon as the old host gets a whiff of my intentions, they stop communicating.

The way I feel is that the way you treat a customer who is leaving your services says a lot about your company, at least as much as how you treat a customer who’s staying…

Unfortuanaty you will have to be able to update the name server for the domains with the registrar - there’s no way around that.

Personally I would simply transfer registrations away from that company - if they’re not going to give you some basic form of descent services get rid of them. The registrar is not suppose to interfer with registration transfers, and if they do you’ve good grounds to have their ICANN standing revoked.

You can transfer your registration to Dreamhost, or to an other company (godady for instance). I know a lot of people like to keep their domains registered with a different company than their host. It would certinly avoid a situation like you’re in now.

–Matttail
art.googlies.net - personal website

Actually that is precisely what I am trying to do. I want to transfer them out from my old host entirely, and have DH be their registrar; either DH or some other, such as godaddy, but either way, I still need to get those domains unlocked before I can transfer them anywhere, but for that, I need the old host to unlock them, as it’s not something I can control.

One would think that having had domains for 7 years would have taught me to not have my webhost register the domains for me, but to do it myself so I know where I stand. sigh

Are you listed as the admin contact for the Domains? If that’s the case then pick the company who you want to be your next registrar, and try to transfer the domains there. Once it gets denied contact support of the winning registrar (the people wh you want to have the domain) and tell them that the current registrar is holding the domains illegaly. Your winning registrar can begin procedings to get your domains back.

If you’re not listed as the admin contact though, you’re probably out of luck.

–Matttail
art.googlies.net - personal website

I guess I’ve been lucky so far. I have not had a problem with having my domains registered with the company I am hosting with. I do have some domains not currently registered with DreamHost, but this was largely because DreamHost (until recently) lacked a domain privacy service.

I fully understand the reasons behind the decision to keep domain registration and hosting separate, but I find it is a little less hassle managing everything in the one place.

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost hosting using promo code [color=#CC0000]SAVEMONEY[/color] ( Click for promo code details )