Issues sending Email

One out of every five or so emails will simply refuse to be sent - or it’ll take forever before it goes. I have no idea what the problem could be.

I’m using Entourage for email on my Mac (it’s more or less the same as Outlook). I’m using POP, not IMAP.

Receiving mail is never a problem, but sending often seems to be.

Any ideas?

Jalpuna! - personal blog
this is the box - radio blog
robsdemo - what I do

If you’re using dreamhost’s server (mail.yourdomain.com) to send your e-mail, try changing the outgoing SMTP server port from 25 to 587. I had the same problem and this fixed it for me…

Will do, and thanks for the tip! Just out of curiosity - what does that do?

Jalpuna! - personal blog
robsdemo - what I do

changing the port between 25 and 587 will work when you ISP has blocked port 25. Some ISPs are doing this in an attempt to help burb spam - they think that if you send all outgoing E-mail through them they can monitor it and block more spam.

So this would be a logical fix it was a consistant ‘I can never send outgoing E-mail any more’. However, as it’s not, it’s more likely to be an issue with your mail server. I know my mail server has a similar problem once in a while - I’ll try and send an E-mail and I’ll get a relay access error. Send it agian in 30 sec and it goes through just fine.

I would sigguest you put a ticket into support, explain the nature of the on again, off agian problem, how often it occurs, and any other information that may be helpful. Perhaps someone else who uses the same server as you will have allready reported similar problems and they’ll be able to match then up and fix the problem. It’s worth a try anyways.

-Matttail

Matt, that’s EXACTLY what’s happening to me. I believe my server is Mudrock

Jalpuna! - personal blog
robsdemo - what I do

yeppers, that seems to be a ‘known’ issue here on the forums. My E-mails all use Murdock. There was a topic a couple weeks back - it doesn’t happen very often, but seems to be some kind of an on-going problem.

If you’re going to put a ticket into support about it, reference this thread… Perhaps that will give it some more weight.

-Matttail

Here’s the thread I was thinking of.

The last poster claims support said it was due for a fix. Not sure if it never got it, or what…

-Matttail

BTW jalpuna, “Harry Potter And The Half Page Cat” is way better than “Yawn”. heheh :slight_smile:

Ha! Thanks!

Jalpuna! - personal blog
robsdemo - what I do

DH provides several mail servers for a domain, and it’s possible that your mail client is using a different one at different times. If one of the servers is “broken” then sending mail might appear to fail, but a 2nd attempt using a different server will succeed. Some mail clients can log more detailed info about what it does and that might help diagnose problems.

I had been having issues like this on and off for awhile, and it got really annoying. I just took a chance to see if it was on the forums here and sure enough, it fixed it! Thanks for this.