Hi, 3 months ago, I had a domain transferred from another registrar to Dreamhost specifically for using custom nameservers. Before I did the transfer, DH support told me that they do support custom nameservers, (back then I didn’t know DH calls calls custom nameservers “vanity nameservers”) and after the transfer was done, the custom nameservers options were no where to be found only to be told by DH support that they are currently not supporting vanity nameservers…
So now I want to transfer the domain away from DH, to NameCheap which I know for sure that they support custom nameservers.
I’ve already tried like 4 times to transfer this domain from DH to NC but every time the transfer doesn’t complete! Everything is correctly set, the whois is disabled, I have access to the whois email, the domain is NOT locked, the domain exceeds 60 days of pause between transfers and the domain is nowhere near expiration, it has +2 years left.
Like I said, I’ve initiated the transfer 4 times now, from NC and almost instantly, I’ve received a confirmation email for the transfer from NameCheap. Needless to say, I’ve clicked on the link from the confirmation mail, and approved the transfer.
After approving the transfer from the NC mail, I never received a confirmation mail from DH also. From what I know this is standard procedure, almost all registrars send 2 confirmation emails: one sent by the gaining registrar and one sent by the loosing registrar. I have NEVER received a confirmation mail from DH.
I’ve talked to both NC and DH support about this issue. NC support said everything is correctly set on their side and that this is a DH issue, while DH support are contradicting themselves in statements.
Some said that I should receive a confirmation mail from DH, others said that all I should do is to wait for 10 days and the transfer will complete automatically and that DH doesn’t send a confirmation mail when a transfer occurs. To be honest, I’ve never waited for 10 days, the maximum I’ve waited was 8 days and when I saw nothing happens, I’ve resubmitted the transfer. I am willing to wait for 10 days now though.
Someone from DH support told me that I can’t instantly resubmit a transfer after canceling an ongoing transfer (even if it fails). He said that I need to wait for 7 days before resubmitting the transfer again! I was like OMG??? WHAT??? I’ve never heard of this anywhere!
There’s also one important thing which needs to be mentioned… DH said that they never received a transfer request from any registrar!
Can anyone help me? Have anyone ever transferred a domain away from DH? What’s the procedure? Are you supposed to receive a confirmation mail from DH or not?