Is this a good reason to switch to Dreamhost?

I have been seriously considering switching from Bluehost. My web sites there have been loading very slow for the last few months.

I contacted their support a number of times and I always get some variation of them blaming Wordpress. I’ve always used nothing but Wordpress with their services with the exception of a forum I administer.

Anyway, I use gtmetrix to look at the speed, but to be honest, I don’t know exactly how to interpret all the information.

Would it be appropriate to either post a link to a performance report or some numbers so someone can tell me if most of the problem would be fixed by switching to Dreamhost?

The reason Dreamhost is my first choice if I have to make a switch is because some people I know use it and report good things.

Other than these crazy slow page loads times I have no problem with the other provider.

If you implement caching and are not too heavy-handed with superfluous plug-ins you should be fine. You get a couple weeks free of charge to test your site after signing up (using a free dreamhosters.com sub-domain) which you can use to see how your website will perform, so it’s quite low-risk financially.

Thanks. I signed up for the free trial. So far, I like everything I see but the lack of immediate tech support makes me kind of nervous.

Once my site was up and running I ran a speed test on it. Two server things it failed on were:

Enable gzip compression

Specify a cache validator

Am I able to implement those two things on Dreamhost at no additional charge?

Are they important?

I use the W3 Total Cache Wordpress plugin in one of my sites, it should greatly increase performance, the plugin is in between one of the most popular, many large sites use it. I think that you misunderstand gtmetrix speed test, it is not Dreamhost who has to implement those measures but you, the webmaster, I would install the plugin I mentioned and run the speed test again, if it does not improve then uninstall, nothing to lose.

Tech Support response time to tickets can be slow, but for questions about user experience, code, site deployment, etc. then this is the place to ask anyway. As you can see above the response time from fellow DreamHosters who frequent the board here is not too shabby. There are a couple of DH employees who are regulars here too - one of whom is a coder who knows the DH system like the back of his hand (AndrewF) and another who is DH’s resident WP Guru (Ipstenu_DH). You can’t buy experience that for $10/month anywhere else.

[quote]Once my site was up and running I ran a speed test on it. Two server things it failed on were:

Enable gzip compression

Specify a cache validator[/quote]

GZIP is available on our servers, so you just have to set it in .htaccess for it to show up :slight_smile:

Also we have Google PageSpeed built in to our servers, so that will act as a dynamic cache far superior to W3TC (which I actually do love a lot).

I am sold. Thank you all for your replies. Excellent community here!

I have been looking for a sort of step by step best practices sequence for migrating my sites (mostly wordpress and a forum) to Dreamhost. It isn’t the kind of thing I do every day so I forget how and I’ve botched it in the past.

I can handled the individual steps like releasing domain names and such, but in the past I did things in the wrong order and ran into some problems.

Edit: I found what I was looking for. This is exactly what I needed to know about transferring to Dreamhost:

http://wiki.dreamhost.com/Transfer_your_site_to_us

I wrote a post a couple of years ago about the steps I followed to migrate a fully developed Wordpress blog from Hostgator to Dreamhost, it could be of use to you too since BlueHost and Hostgator both use cPanel:

http://www.computersolving.com/computer-tips-tricks/how-to-move-your-wordpress-blog-to-another-webhost/

[quote=“ericoahu, post:1, topic:59565”]
I have been seriously considering switching from Bluehost. My web sites there have been loading very slow for the last few months.[/quote]

Short answer is: Don’t!

I’m having site down at least once a week. Some time even a few times per week. Tech support is not able to do anything with that. And I’m not talking about Wordpress or anything like that. I’m talking about static html pages.

You still with them? I’m thinking of leaving HostGator, but your post makes me question that. At least with HostGator, it’s been online 99% of the time. Are your sites still going down?