Is Joomla right for me?

Hi all,

I am new to DH but proficient at html with some CSS knowledge but no DB/programming skills.

I want to build a website that will have a ratings and find/locater function. I have researched Joomla offerings and those both seem to exist.

My questions are:

1. has anyone done something similar and can they provide me with any experience/advice?
  2. Should I use Joomla or something else given my lack of php skills?
  3. with the basic hosting package, will I be able to achieve my goals?
  4. Anyone have any experience tying in a simple payment function for those that wish to advertise their website on a find/locater website?

Thanks. I know my questions are vague but any help would be greatly appreciated before I dive into this project.

D

Hi D,

Joomla should be fine given your requirements and knowledge.

Out of the box it requires little-to-no knowledge of php - just a lot of patience in finding your way around it. It takes a few weeks to understand how it works properly, so as long as you’ve got time to understand how to use it properly, you’ll be fine.

1. Not done similar myself, but there’s loads of Joomla Directory extensions available - these are basically things that you install into Joomla via the admin interface to give you extra functionality.

2. As above, Joomla will be fine if you’ve got no knowledge of PHP. There should be enough out-of-the-box stuff for you to avoid touching the code.

3. Yes. You just need PHP & MySQL.

4. Have a look around the Joomla extensions site for payment stuff. There’s all sorts you can do, including PayPal, Google Checkout, and Worldpay.

Good luck :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Karl

web design, development, pay per click marketing (PPC) & Search Engine Optimisation (SEO) by DigitalVibe