Is dreamhost supports asp.net or not?

wordpress

Is dreamhost supports asp.net or not…??
or whether it requires some extra payment for asp or asp.net services…
If not then please tell me some other asp.net server(may be partner of dreamhost)
please tell me it’s urgent…

No. DreamHost is a Linux based web host (Debian) and does not offer asp or asp.net services.

–rlparker

There is no support for ASP, a Microsoft proprietary technology, on the DreamHost system. You will need IIS-based hosting for that, although there are a handful of hosts that implement ports such as Apache::ASP.

si-blog
Max discount on any plan with promocode SCJESSEYTOTAL

Just a handful? I believe the technical term is “sh*tpot”

The important thing to know is ANYONE that supports ASP will totally let you know on EVERY PAGE they display - in fact, it’s probably in every URL their site sends you trying to get you to sign up.

Once again, a simple search would answer your questions. Look into this google thing (www.google.com) and you’ll stop annoying others. It may even make you look smart.
Wholly - Use promo code WhollyMindless for discount.

Yes, you can googling.

But I list 2 that I know (hope that it is not regarded as spam) :
1and1.com
netfirms.com

TTL

SIGN UP with $50 off 2 lifetime domains with [color=#00CC00]50FORGOOD[/color] code

What about discountasp.net?

BTW, I want all my friends to ignore the fact that I am forced to read Visual Studio Magazine and program in .NET at work. :slight_smile:

I am moving to a new development group and will either be helping with one of our java applications. I also might actually get to start our corporate support of Open Source!

3 extra lifetime domains and (the new maximum) $50 off with code [color=#CC0000]3DOM50[/color]. More Dreamhost coupons

Hey, if DH can’t help him there’s nothing wrong with finding someone that can help.

Although there is something wrong with being a .NET programmer. There’s a special place in hell for them.

Yes, but ironically, it’s where they already are…

Though funny, it’s actually not really true. It’s actually an amazingly powerful and easy to use environment. I can’t speak for the web server parts of it, but as far as coding up web services, .NET 3.0 and WCF are fine.

I can’t speak for ASP.NET and such, because we (at work) certainly aren’t touching that with a 10 foot pole.

3 extra lifetime domains and (the new maximum) $50 off with code [color=#CC0000]3DOM50[/color]. More Dreamhost coupons

Damn, do you work across the cube from me? We’ve just come to those same realizations.

(So yes, I’ve been actually paid to .NET and not touch ASP)

For anyone who didn’t simply respond to the question, I wish people would get off their religious pedestals for questions like this. I don’t give a rats arse about Ruby or some of the other languages/stacks that people talk about here but I don’t criticize someone’s choice of technology.

This question comes up in this forum a few times per year. I’d put up a survey to see how many people would want to see Mono here, but I’m sure it would be tainted with a ton of religious idiots focused on denigrating technology rather than actually voting on whether adding another one here would be worthwhile. There’s also the paradox that the only people who would know about this survey and vote for Mono are people already hosted here - people who found DH doesn’t support Mono generally aren’t hosting here and can’t cast a vote. All that said, it would be nice if DH could find an effective way to get some sense of whether existing customers and occasional prospects would use Mono if it were available here.

As a .NET developer (it’s just one tool in a kit with many others) I’ve been hoping to find some time to put Mono on my account here and run C# code. Rather than trying to get DH to run mod_mono I was thinking about having Perl or PHP script call to my .NET code and pass the response up the line - this way there are no persistent processes, but of course it’s not very efficient either.

It would be nice to know if anyone with their own DH Private Server is running Mono with or without ASP.NET (Mono of course). I don’t have a good reason to spend $15/month to get a DHPS just for this but it certainly adds to the number of reasons why I might get DHPS.

In the absence of DH itself supporting ASP.NET (obviously only the Mono implementation, not Microsoft’s) it might be worth it to consider using DH to accept HTTP calls and then pass the request transparently to another server that uses .NET to generate responses. I’m not sure how to do this elegantly but if I could serve .NET pages from my office through queries to DH I would be real happy. That might involve some scripting for a web service call, or maybe .htaccess redirection which I haven’t used for this purpose yet.

Productive suggestions on any of this are welcome.

It’s a great idea - but not one ever likely to happen. I personally dislike .NET a great deal as it relies on a Microsoft backend - namely: Windows. You can get .NET apps to work in *Nix environments with special modules that others have built, but they are not only NOT supported by Microsoft (for obvious reasons) but have been known to create bugs that don’t exist in .NET’s native environment (Windows).

Hence a major issue and probably the biggest reason DH has yet supported .NET apps - the reliance on a Windows-based Server. That said however, you COULD always setup a PS and build support for Mono/.NET yourself and hope it works out - from what I understand most applications work perfectly fine. You’re idea of using Perl or a PHP script to call the .NET code and “pass the response up the line” is beyond me and doesn’t really sound like an option for others. Most people just want things to “work” out-of-the-box, not jump through hoops to get there (which is also your argument for having Mono/.NET support I understand). Switching to a host that uses windows-based servers and provides full support for .NET apps would really be your best bet.

Chips N Cheese - Custom PHP installs and the like!

Starbuck -

That sure didn’t seem like a minor rant. I understand your point of asking people to keep their “religious” opinions out of the comments. I fear that you assumed it was “religious” rather than based in frustration.

BUT, you have to accept that the shared servers are so tightly managed that mono would likely fail to support ANY number of users. Just uploading 400 meg of images was more than my gallery install could take. Simple size conversions were being killed by the process killer. Going to a “private” would probably help that as cpu/memory isn’t a failing cap (causing processes to be killed).

Don’t think that our admittedly harsh responses were because we “look down” on ASP or .net. It is because there is sufficient information on the main dreamhost pages, forums and wiki to have answered the question for himself. I also understand that there might have been a language gap involved. I GUARANTEE that the default 7 day search history on this forum contributes mightily to the number of questions that get repeated. On a 7 day search, you’re not going to find much at all.

Both Java and .net have similar business problems, that they are both managed/owned/controlled by groups that just might not have my best interest at heart. I fear for the mono group, that it’s going to get just a little bit too good for MS to allow it to continue.

P.S. Reading back through this thread, everyone but me seemed to be nice. I apologize for coming off hard, I really was simply frustrated by a question that is very easily “self answerable” being forced on all of us. None of us are employees, none of us get paid. These forums would be much less useful without us, so we do bring value that way.

“Religious pedestals” of all types, and in most instances, are likely to irritate and/or alienate someone whenever they are encountered.

I agree with you that there is no point to going to “Holy War” with anyone over their choice of technology , but I understand why some who have been involved for years in the development of the web are suspicious of any and everything that has Micro$*ft’s name on it as it applies to the WWW.

Years of dealing with the “eccentricities” of IE, the "improved but still ‘borken’ " browser that is IE7, and even the recent activities of Micro$*ft in attempting to make MS-OOXML a “standard” have left some feeling “less than enthusiastic” about embracing any technology that is, or appears to be, driven by Micro$*ft.

Linux hosts have been able to “run” asp stuff for years (chilisoft, etc) if they wanted to, and there is Mono for playing in the .NET world, but make no mistake that the “asp and .NET worlds are belong to Micro$oft.”

The nice thingis that there is no shortage of hosting available for those that want to work and play in these “Micro$*ft worlds”, so there is plenty of “choice” available.

While there may, or may not, be any real value in doing that, it seems to me that it would be a kludge, at best, that I would rather avoid altogether if I wanted to use that technology; just using an ASP.NET friendly host seems to be a much better solution.

I don’t believe that DreamHost should even try to be “all things to all people”, and I rather enjoy having DreamHost as a “clean well-lighted place” that focuses their time and attention of maximizing the utility of “open” platforms.

The best, and most accurate, answer to questions about ASP and .NET on DreamHost, in my opinion, is a simple,“Nope, not here!” but there is no reason that answer can’t be delivered in a non-antagonistic manner (and maybe even with a smile and or a wink). :slight_smile:

–rlparker

I do have to apologize. I was too harsh.

You do realize that I was not taking you to task with my last post, right?

I was just sharing my thoughts on that matter (not that anyone asked!) :slight_smile:

–rlparker

I know that. I just figured that I came across too hot headed and opinionated - but the funny thing about it is that I wasn’t intending to be technically “superior” with the post.

Don’t water down your message, though! Being nice is one thing, but I’d hate to see you fail to express your opinion about technologies that should or should not be supported here at Dreamhost.

I do agree that we should be nice to each other - well, maybe not everyone, but certainly the civil ones. Even the misguided ones… (JUST KIDDING, JUST KIDDING!)

extra domains and the new maximum $50 off with codes [color=#CC0000]1DOM50, 2DOM50 and 3DOM50[/color].
More Dreamhost coupons

Guys please don’t get me wrong, I’m not one of those zealots on the other side of the fence who’s going to bark every time someone says M$ sux. When they do they do. You guys weren’t even swinging fists, I inderstand that. My beef here is that people are expressing prejudice about something they don’t know much about. If DH doesn’t support Mono, let it be for the right reasons. (Please forgive a little repetition here, I’m kinda tired.)

The .NET Framework is an implementation of a published spec. Yes, Microsoft wrote the spec. That doesn’t matter, what’s important is that they adhere to it closely. The guys who write Mono are coding to spec. Mono agrees with the Microsoft implementation where possible, and Mono does work well over Linux, Windows, Mac OSX, and other platforms. The point regarding DH is that this is just another stack like J2EE, LAMP, or RAILS. If you try it and you don’t like it, that’s your business. We can say the same about any other stack, technology, language, protocol, or application. Regardless of who wrote the original spec, Mono works, and like WordPress or other packages, there are people who might want to run it here.

Mono is not written by Microsoft. Microsoft does not maintain or support Mono. Mono is FLOSS. How is this any different from anything else we run on these servers? The thing I take exception to here is the broken logic: Microsoft wrote the spec, Microsoft sux, therefore the spec sux, therefore any implementation sux, therefore it shouldn’t be hosted at DH. I sort of don’t care if Mono is hosted here but if it’s not I don’t think it should be based on that kind of thinking. Regardless of whether you believe the spec or implementation is crap, why does your opinion of some package that you’ve never used and your not going to use have bearing on it being available for someone else who does want to use it?

I understand that some people think (right or wrong) that Mono is still M$ technology whether it’s got their name on it or not. Personally I disagree but consider that for our purposes it doesn’t matter who “owns” it. Mono is a completely independent FLOSS project that’s been embraced by Novell (translate that to SUSE Linux). With the coming or Flex, Silverlight, XAML, and these related cross-platform RIA browser/client technologies, Microsoft is highly motivated to ensure the .NET Framework can run in a small virtual machine on any target OS. In short, Silverlight is just like a Java applet. While Mono is independent, Microsoft and Novell have partnered to ensure cross-platform functionality. In the past it was a clear line between Windows and *nix, Microsoft and “everyone else” but that line is starting to blur. I think from a business perspective, DH should consider support for Mono because with the coming of Silverlight there will be new developers looking for hosts that support it - and they aren’t any more eager to host over expensive Windows systems than the rest of us here.

So, now that I’ve made a blithering idiot of myself I’ll encourage DH to give this fair consideration from a business perspective, passions aside. Specifically, that includes support for mod_mono, and support for just the runtime aspects of Mono - people can compile their code elsewhere.

Thanks for your time.

[quote]Starbuck wrote:

In the absence of DH itself supporting ASP.NET (obviously only the Mono implementation, not Microsoft’s) it might be worth it to consider using DH to accept HTTP calls and then pass the request transparently to another server that uses .NET to generate responses. … Productive suggestions on any of this are welcome.

RLParker replied:

While there may, or may not, be any real value in doing that, it seems to me that it would be a kludge, at best, that I would rather avoid altogether if I wanted to use that technology; just using an ASP.NET friendly host seems to be a much better solution.

I don’t believe that DreamHost should even try to be “all things to all people”, and I rather enjoy having DreamHost as a “clean well-lighted place” that focuses their time and attention of maximizing the utility of “open” platforms. [/quote]
I hope it doesn’t seem like I’m picking nits but when I read these comments I feel like your usual common sense has suddenly taken a lunch break. If you forget for a moment that the name Microsoft has been brought into this conversation, your responses here would be extremely short-sighted if any other package were being considered here.

With regard to my request, I’m describing something like a Web Service, Java RMI, even Jabber integration for exchanging packets with a remote system - and your response is that there’s not much value in such a kludge?! Uh dude, everyone is doing it - SOA? SAAS? Ajax? Ignore the technology for a moment and just consider how much you’ve closed your mind to basic technical concepts just because of what you think about “ASP.NET”.

Now regarding being “all things to all people” - holy cow, we have subversion and jabber and webdav and frontpage, and don’t forget a bunch of one-click Goodies… and that’s not trying to be “all things to all people”?

Finally, while you’re thinking about a “clean well-lighted place” focused on “open” platforms - just remember that the OP didn’t ask for Microsoft, he asked for ASP.NET. You guys said Microsoft and then said fergeddaboudit because ASP.NET is irrevocably linked to Microsoft and Windows. Your fundamental premise is wrong. DH can easily support Mono which is just another FLOSS stack (yes… “open”), and ASP.NET can run via Mono with no Microsoft or Windows involved.

Whether or not DH supports Mono, I’m wondering if we can run with it in DH PS. Hmm, and if we can, now I’m wondering what the rules are about providing services out of our DH PS… Something to think about.

[quote]
Your fundamental premise is wrong. DH can easily support Mono which is just another FLOSS stack (yes… “open”), and ASP.NET can run via Mono with no Microsoft or Windows involved.[/quote]
And I’ve already stated the inherent flaw in doing so - ASP.Net and Mono support for the Apache web server is not officially supported by Microsoft’s ASP.Net code and has proven to cause bugs which, when run from an IIS web server, do not exist.
Now granted those are small issues and very uncommon - I personally see no reason why DH couldn’t at least try it out. Is there even a suggestion for it in the Suggestion box? I haven’t checked, but it might be worth voting on if it’s there (or create one if not). Wouldn’t be using it personally any time too soon, but it could prove useful in the future.

Chips N Cheese - Custom PHP installs and the like!