Is dreamhost really thus bad?

Been a customer now 2 weeks and during that time the web server has been unreachable atleast 2 times and the database server unreachanble from the web server atleast 4 times… each of those outtages has been >30 minutes that we have noticed… and not all that actively monitoring it.

Lucky for me the actual site is not in use and only on testing, but the level of outtages is way wrong…

Is there any use in continuing or should I cancel allready and get some other hosting?

Unfortunately, you have have not chosen a great time to evaluate DreamHost, the last few weeks have been the worse I can recall since being with DreamHost.

First they had a major file server crash (and re-crash) which apparently exposed internal network issues, then they had to contend with a major power outage and a UPS system that failed to do what it was supposed to.

Thankfully, the techs seem to have most things under control now, but there are apparently still some residue issues they are working on.

I have no doubt that everything will return to its normal non-eventful status quo soon, in fact my sites have been problem free for a few days now.

DreamHost has stated that they have learned a few things during these troubles and are taking steps to prevent similar hardware failures from having such a drastic effect on the network.

you can read all about the recent problems at the links below;

http://www.dreamhoststatus.com/
http://blog.dreamhost.com/

I suggest hanging in there for a while, as I said above; The last few weeks are definitely not indicative of the level of quality usually provided by DreamHost. If you paid by credit card, you have 97 days to decide if DreamHost is for you.

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost hosting using promo code [color=#CC0000]SAVEMONEY[/color] ( Click for promo code details )

I’ve been with them since 2001, and though they have their problems, I’ve found that the good far outweighs the bad.

You have 97 days to figure out if you want to stay, so even if it was a bad 2 weeks, I’d still give it more time to see how it goes, then go from there.

:stuck_out_tongue: Save up to $96 at Dreamhost with 96DOLLARSOFF promo code (I get $1).
Or save $97 with TAKESEILERSCASH.

I agree with Raz. The problems have only been recent!

Dreamhost are doing everything they can to solve these problems. We’ll just have to wait and see what happens :slight_smile:

Other than that, I have been with Dreamhost for about a year and I am stress-free. Lol.

I’ve been with DH for a little over two years now and quite frankly they are THE BEST that I have ever used. Granted they have their share of issues, but I have never been disappointed. I have had questions in the past and either a DH support person or a user was able to help me.

I remember last year they had a major power outage and did everything they could to fix the issue.

One thing to remember is every company has problems. The question is, what do they do in order to not have the same issue again in the future. For the money that DH charges they are worth 10x the amount.

I will never switch from DH.

Personally I would LOVE to work for them. :smiley:
(hint hint)

Me too! I want to work for Dreamhost! :smiley:

Are you sure? :slight_smile:

http://blog.dreamhost.com/2006/03/09/what-you-get-when-you-work-here/

http://blog.dreamhost.com/2006/02/01/jackets-of-pain/

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost hosting using promo code [color=#CC0000]SAVEMONEY[/color] ( Click for promo code details )

As said above, it’s just been recently that I’ve experienced any real problems. And now they have a generator on fire… maybe God hates DH?

Check out Gordaen’s Knowledge, the blog, and the MR2 page.

waves hands frantically

THE BACKUP GENERATOR SEEMS TO BE ON FIRE, SCARECROW!!!

Personally, I’ve about had it with the service. Every day it seems I can count on something bad to happen. File server one day. Router another day. Fire another day. Tomorrow it’ll probably be the “Chupacabra Ate Our Servers!”

My site is starting to pick up now, and this past month is probably losing more visitors than I am gaining because of all this.

Sadly, I’ll be looking for a new host. :frowning:

Well, I’m also a new DH customer and the flurry of outages recently has me amused, partly because this seems to happen whenever I move to a new host. (Hey, perhaps I can get hosts to pay me to stay away…)

Anyway, I think DH has handled the issues quite well compared to other hosts I’ve seen and my own site has hardly seen a hiccup.

I have another site on a MUCH larger hosting service - and they too went belly-up for a while the other day due to a power failure. Hosts based in the LA area seem to be especially susceptible to this right around now.

Steve

So its your fault? :slight_smile:

I think Dreamhost have done well to minimise downtime during the recent troubles and I appreciate the effort to keep we customers updated through the Dreamhost status site.

I understand that people are upset if their sites aren’t working, but this is the real world, and in the real world things sometimes break.

Pay just [color=#CC0000]$22.40[/color] for 1 year Dreamhost hosting, use promo-code [color=#CC0000]MOJO97[/color]
Save [color=#CC0000]$97[/color] on all 1 and 2 year plans!! (Max saving on monthly plans too!!)

We appreciate that you all are being so patient. If I were a new customer of ours I would be thinking the same things the original poster mentioned. Frankly, our service has been far from stellar for the past couple of weeks. We have been working feverishly to fix things and the failure of our data center building to maintain steady power has come at an especially bad time. There are things we could have done better in advance of the recent outages but as they say, hindsight is always 20/20. We will be addressing all of this in a future blog post so watch for that. I had wanted to get that out this week but the power outage foiled that plan.

We haven’t decided yet what to do about the poor performance of our building. Moving into another building is an obvious possibility but it’s not absolutely certain that spending the time and money to do that is actually what’s in the best interests of our customer base. We are already in the process of purchasing a UPS system of our own to provide power for the most criticial components of our network. Again hindsight is 20/20 on that decision. We should have done it 10 months ago after the first big power outage.

The power in downtown Los Angeles has been pretty shaky lately. It’s not just our building affected. We are definitely weighing our options!

• Dallas
  • DreamHost Head Honcho/Founder

Do I understand correctly that you’re in the Garland Building - along with at least one other web host I know of?

Steve

yeppers, they’re in the Garland building, apparently as well as Myspace, and some other webhosts.

–Matttail
art.googlies.net - personal website

Is this the Garland Building, where they are then? According to Google Earth. It looks a bit of a rough area! Not many trees.

Norm

Opinions are my own views, not DreamHosts’.
I am NOT a DreamHost employee OK!! :@

You act on my advice at your own risk!

That looks like the area, alright! I don’t know exactly which building it is, but I know that area all to well. Right in “the heart” of Los Angeles.

It looks “better” from “street level”, you see the building facades instead of the roofs.
–rlparker

“The building, known as The Garland Building, has state of the art highly redundant power systems with power drawn from two distinct substations. Additionally, the building was designed so that in an 8.4 earthquake, the raised flooring system will only move ¾ of an inch.”

Steve

Using maps.google.com it located a building that seems to match the description. I was reading that there’s a helipad on top of the building, and that matches up. See it here

–Matttail
art.googlies.net - personal website

Is the helipad so they can flee from potential server fires or is it for other hosts to flee enraged myspace users? :wink:

Check out Gordaen’s Knowledge, the blog, and the MR2 page.