Is DreamHost Experiencing Performance Downgrade?

Hello!

I am interested in signing up with DH. But I have been hearing a lot about performance degrading recently. Is it really the case? Has the situation been improved from user experience? How would you overall rate DH now? Please let me know more.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

IMO Dreamhost is great. I have 3 person domains, and I have 2 “Clients”. I have never had better tech support anywhere.

It’s true that dreamhost has been expirencing some ‘growing pains’ in the past months, but I am still extremly satisfied with all that I get, at the price I pay. The re-ward system is great. My sites have had terrific up-time, as well has stable mysql databases.

I think you’ll like it here.

-Matttail

dunno. the 1st 3days i signed up they was slow as hell. Its gotten better now :wink: I signed up acouple days ago btw.

GottaDeal.com Deals & Coupon Codes. Why Pay Retail?

Can’t really complain about uptime. Clocking 99.91% uptime over two months at the moment, and getting better by the day. There are still performance problems, but it sounds like some servers don’t experience them. Our server’s been slow, and continues being slow with constant high load.

I suppose it all depends on how much you’re planning to pay for your hosting. Dreamhost gives a lot of features, but you’re also getting precisely what you’re paying for. In the grand scheme of things, if you add features you have to take something away from somewhere else. Sometimes you get lucky and sometimes you don’t. We got unlucky with our server, but maybe you’ll have better luck.

If $20/month is your spending limit, you really can’t go wrong with Dreamhost. If you can commit up to $30/mo, however, you might be interested in looking at a managed virtual private servers. VPS can be a bit more involved, but comes with guaranteed minimum resources.

Growing pains cannot begin to explain the recent hassles with DH. I have been with them since 1/04 and these past four months have been simply horrid. Slow server speeds + e-mail servers going down + ftp errors + SQL corruptions +++ (actually - - -)

seriously though, there are plenty of other hosts available out there for $20/month and for that fella that commented about their service…holy cow…do you know that this support system does not even have a telephone number??? I am not talking about a toll free number, im talking zero zilch nada phone numbers…

IAmAtMyWitsEnd

IAmAtMyWitsEnd,
we have heard your rants against DreamHost elsewhere in this forum. Please keep your rant to that thread and please don’t pollute other threads.

Dear Anonymous,
I have experienced no change in operation in the last few months, so I can say nothing toward any slowdowns.

TorbenGB
Try out DreamHost with a free WebIDPrices, options

To be honest, DreamHost is not at their best right now: nothing horrible though, far from it, but they could be even faster and better. If you are deciding on whether to sign up or not, their 97 day money back gurantee should take away your last hurdle. :wink:

GungHost.com :: DreamServers.net :: DreamRegistrar.com

I’ve been with DH for only 45 days. The first month was wonderful, server load is always at 0.2-0.3 (sometimes, maybe when DoS attack) it increased upto 5-10, but for only a few minutes.

Now average load is 3-4, and it’s not difficule to see a load about 5-10, my PHP site runs about 50-100% slower.

Not bad for what I pay (lots of bandwidth, good uptime, shells/sites/accounts, possibility to compile/run PHP (I’m testing and will switch to PHP5 in a few weeks),… much more). But I think it could be better.

How is giving my honest feedback polluting your precious thread?

This is what I truly experienced…i wasn’t speaking on behalf of all of DH…

<Growing pains cannot begin to explain the recent hassles with DH. I have been with them since 1/04 and these past four months have been simply horrid. Slow server speeds + e-mail servers going down + ftp errors + SQL corruptions +++ (actually - - -)>

So you are telling me that none of the above could have possibly occurred?? It was all in my imagination?? I must say, i have never witnessed the level of condescending comments that I have experienced by some of you in this forum.

<<seriously though, there are plenty of other hosts available out there for $20/month and for that fella that commented about their service…holy cow…do you know that this support system does not even have a telephone number??? I am not talking about a toll free number, im talking zero zilch nada phone numbers…>>

And let me guess, that all is a lie as well? There arent any other $20/month hosts out there in all of the internet? Oh, and DH really does have a phone number for tech support…post it and we will see who the liar is!

IAmAtMyWitsEnd

You don’t get out much do you :slight_smile: I think folks tire of your presence in actual fact. There are acknowledged problems that are being remedied, if you can’t wait, then go I think is the general gist. I think your tone is always a bit “rant” so it comes back at you that way. The frequency of your posting clutters the forums as well, that’s gettin on my nerves even, your attitude and commentary simply feeds fear.

From what I gather by your posts you’re a bit of a novice in the world of web things and quick to freak out. Those are such a bad combination for moving forward and learning anything (I know, I was the same at one time!). This is a great host and a great place to learn things, you shoulldn’t rail against so hard, you’re burning a valuable bridge there if you ever wanna grow. You can always re-register with a new username tho :wink:

For the people that are on machines experience problems, I truly feel for you, and it’s unnacceptable. If you’re new and you know no better about Dreamhost’s history of support, then I’d expect you to leave screaming. Just do it already :slight_smile:

[color=#0000CC]jason[/color]

<You don’t get out much do you :)>

good god :O, how did you know that? :wink:

< I think folks tire of your presence in actual fact.>

I challenge you or anybody to pick an actual statement i have made (not out of context) and tell me why it lacks fact. I have made this challenge several times before, and thus far, i have yet to receive even one response.

<There are acknowledged problems that are being remedied, if you can’t wait, then go I think is the general gist.>

jason, this is what is irritating, how long is acceptable for these remedies to take hold? one month, two months, three months??? And NO, im not saying that DH has been all terrible the past three months, but compared to previous DH standards, it has been quite awful.

<The frequency of your posting clutters the forums as well, that’s gettin on my nerves even, your attitude and commentary simply feeds fear.>

I did not know that there were caps on posting, if that is so, i humbly apologize, NOT - im no newbie, jason. Frankly, i do not see how I am feeding fearfear has plenty of REAL things out there to feast on without me. It is what it is and i am simply relaying some of my not so positive outcomes so that:

1. People are allowed to make an informed decision.
  2. People who are experiencing problems will know that they aren’t the only ones.

<From what I gather by your posts you’re a bit of a novice in the world of web things and quick to freak out.>

Wow, you are way off on that one, nothing personal :wink:

<Those are such a bad combination for moving forward and learning anything (I know, I was the same at one time!). This is a great host and a great place to learn things, you shoulldn’t rail against so hard, you’re burning a valuable bridge there if you ever wanna grow. You can always re-register with a new username tho ;)>

The only way one can move forward is first by admitting there is a problem - I am way far ahead of many of you on that note. While i cannot agree with you on the great host part, I will say that this is one of the more knowledgable forums i have encountered (besides maybe webhostingtalk.com) and i do enjoy and read many very good ideas in this forum often. I appreciate the web design talents many of you possess and often comment on things that I truly like (when i don’t receive the server timeout screen-sorry had to say it ;)…and and btw, very nice site…it falls under the i like category :slight_smile:

<For the people that are on machines experience problems, I truly feel for you, and it’s unnacceptable. If you’re new and you know no better about Dreamhost’s history of support, then I’d expect you to leave screaming. Just do it already :)>

Now that part i concur with! :wink:

I have moved most of my sites over to 1and1 as a trial, but i keep my accounts and some site over here at DH-i’m not as stupid as i look :wink:

IAmAtMyWitsEnd

Naturally I can only represent myself, well, and my clients. I have used Dreamhost for over 5 years and through working for other people have had experience with about a dozen other webhosts. I always recommend Dreamhost, regardless of the great referral program here. I personally have 5 domains with them and have 8 clients using them. I personally haven’t noticed any intolerable downgrade in service by DreamHost lately.

As one person noted when snubbing their service, they don’t have a support phone number. This is true and one of the reasons I believe them to be great. You see, you can use the support form or request a support call. This saves everyone time and money. It’s the do-it-yourself attitude here that allows us to get what we do (a lot) for what we pay for (a little). I’ve seen many cheaper plans, but they’re cheaper for a reason.

If you have any doubts as to whether dreamhost is a good host or not, simply do a google search and you will see positive raves outnumber rants by at least 10 to one if not by much much more. From A list bloggers to web designers, to programmers, you’ll find a long long list of knowledgable people using and endorsing dreamhost.

mail[at]mahalie[dot]com

Never said anything you said wasn’t truthful, maybe skewed with your seething negativism (and that appears to be settling?), but not fact-free from your perspective. My basic point is that there are a tons of people here that aren’t experienceing problems, but you post more, a lot more, so it skews the data a bit :slight_smile:

That’s a judgement call, since I’m not experiencing these difficulties (I have in the neighborhood of 50 domains here), thankfully I don’t have to make that decision, and I feel for anyone who is in that position, truly.

Nothing personal taken, my comments to you could be taken with a nasty tone moreso than that, no sweat! Sorry if I was off the mark, I thought you were a frontpage client/server guy and from some of your comments wasn’t sure you even knew html very well, much less server side languages. Pardon me if I confuse you with someone else, I should pay more attention before I say such things.

I don’t think anyone’s failed to acknowledge that there’s a problem, even if we’re not experiencing said problems. Cool heads prevail tho, it’s hard to see rationally (and get to fixin) through a red mist. If you approach support in the same manner that you do your forum posts I’d think you’d be difficult to help.

Anyhow, that’s it for me, I’m beginning to feel like a condescending jerk. Find your happy place! :slight_smile:

[color=#0000CC]jason[/color]

I have been with DH for a bit over a month. The control panel has been slow at times, but with the exception of one problem with MySQL (which only lasted a few minutes) web site performance has been great.
If something goes wrong, they send you an email message or post an announcement. My experience with other hosting is that I was often the person reporting a server problem. The response would be timely, but was usually the text copied from the cPanel documentation which I had already read and found inaccurate or inapplicable and apparently no communication with the server administrators. It makes troubleshooting a lot easier if the system administrators say what is going on.
Anyway, so far I like DH a lot!

Kathy

I have only been on board for a month so I guess my opinion is not to valid. So far things have been hit and miss. Uptime has been fairly good, but access time are all over the map, as of this exact moment my web browser is timing out before I can access any of my sites. I am willing to give DH the benifit of the doubt and stick with them through these growing pains. I will see how things shake out; like others have said the 90 day money back garantee make it hard not to at least give DH a try.

I’m also a newbie here at DH and I’ve experienced the slowness. It’s not enough for me to complain about though. Someone made the statement that you get what you pay for and this is very true. I’ve read that they have been expanding their hardware, moving locations and other such growing activities. I fully expect some issues to arrise out of that.

Those that think that kind of growth shouldn’t cause an issue need to rethink a bit. It’s very rare for projects of that scale to go perfect. It’s fantastic when it does, but it’s pretty rare.

I’ll deal with the slowness for a while, Rome wasn’t built in a day and you don’t make massive changes to a webhost that quickly either.