Is DNS Forwarding ok for hosting my website on DH?

Hi everyone!
I’m trying to host a website on DH, while the domain (.it) is registered with another registrar.
The registrar allow me to set up the DNS Forwarding.
Is that equivalent to “changing the DNS to use those of DH”?
After more than 48 hours that I set up the DNS forwarding using the ns1 and ns2 ip addresses still DH reports i’m not using it’s nameservers and while the domain resolves ok to the web site the email still get lost in the cyberspace…

So I’m guessing that DNS forwarding isn’t ok…

Can someone help me?

What is your domain name?

$50 off and 3 free domains with code: [color=#CC0000]DH3[/color] Sign Up NOW or More Codes Here

my domain name is
ufficiesoluzioni.it

just checked now and it doesn’t resolves anymore…
mah … I don’t understand… :-/

Stefano

You need to change the nameservers from ns1.dnsitalia.net to ns1.dreamhost.com, and so on. Can you?

-Scott

No, I can’t
just two options:

1. use ns1.dnsitalia and set there all the records pointing to the ip on DH (and every time DH change their machine’s ip going to change my records too)
  2. use their DNS Forwarding option, where I can specify the ip address of a Nameserver.

I went the second way and input the ns1.dreamhost.com ip address… but looks like “DNS Forwarding” isn’t the same as “custom dns” because the domain still (after more than 50 hours) still resolves only for the web server…

Are you able to set up CName?

$50 off and 3 free domains with code: [color=#CC0000]DH3[/color] Sign Up NOW or More Codes Here

Yes!
CNAME, A records and MX records yes! :slight_smile:

btw: thanks for your patience and help

You can try CName then thought this is not the best solution. I hope this works when the rest fails.

1. create a free subdomain in DH
  2. modify your CName and point it to the free subdomain
  3. add your domain to your hosting. (I believe you have done so)
  4. go to DH panel --> Domains --> Manage Domains --> Web Hosting --> Edit --> Mirrored to mirror your domain to the free subdomain.

I am not an expert on this but at least this works for me :stuck_out_tongue:

Thank you!
I’ll try…

Stefano

[quote]1) use ns1.dnsitalia and set there all the records pointing to the ip on DH (and every time DH change their machine’s ip going to change my records too)
2) use their DNS Forwarding option, where I can specify the ip address of a Nameserver. [/quote]
Both of these options should work.

As you say, in the first option, you do have to change the IP address at the dnsitalia DNS server whenever Dreamhost reassigns the IP address of your apache server. This does not really happen that often, and there are tools/scripts you can use to notify you when it happens so you can edit your entries.

The second option seems like it should work. You’d definitely need to wait a long time for DNS to propagate and you really need to make sure with your domain registrar that you’re doing it right at their end.

Use the [color=#CC0000]3DOM50[/color] promo code for 3 extra lifetime domains and $50 off
More Dreamhost coupons here!