Is anyone else still having trouble with e-mail?

I haven’t been able to login via Outlook since the 9th of this month. Dreamhost is carrying my secondary e-mail address so I haven’t really worried about it, but I just tried logging in via webmail and my account wasn’t recognized at all.

After searching the forum, I found that many of you are logging in with a separate account name (that looks like m399euce9t or something similar), but I’m unsure of where you are finding that. I don’t see it from the Web Panel > Mail > Addresses area.

Any help would be strongly appreciated. There are some e-mails in my mailbox that are quite crucial to me getting some work completed before I leave on vacation tomorrow. Thanks.

When you login via webmail use your e-mail address and not your account name. :slight_smile:

However, if you go here > https://panel.dreamhost.com/index.cgi?tree=mail.addresses& and you do not see any e-mail addresses then you might want to contact support and see what the problem is.

willscorner.net

Indeed. I had tried this multiple times, maybe 4 or 5 before I created this thread. As soon as you suggested it though, it worked! I was able to log in and grab some info. As soon as I tried to send an e-mail though, I was logged out immediately and told that my username / pass was wrong. I tried to log in again, same problem. Then another attempt, and I could log in. Something must be screwy with the system. I use Firefox so my name / password is automatically stored and I never have to retype it, so I know it’s not a problem with my typing ability.

Ahh, well. As long as I got what I needed. Thanks for the help!

It would be nice if I could login to Outlook though. I’m using the Dreamhost username and password that I log into the web panel with. Is that not right?

[quote]I’m using the Dreamhost username and password that I

[/quote]

It is often wrong. AFIACT the DH mail services are a mixture of old and new sytems, so it depends.

The mailbox login may be a m######-style name or it may be a user name, neither of which is necessarily the same as the user part of the email address used at webmail. See Mail > Addresses
"Login" to find the mailbox login name.

Further, due to bug in the webmail login, your successful login name there could be none of the above.

[quote]It is often wrong. AFIACT the DH mail services are a mixture of old and
new sytems, so it depends.

[/quote]

Actually, the login for webmail is the first portion of the email address that you want to log in with. For example, if your email address is ‘foo@bar.com’, you would use ‘foo’ to log in. This is completely independent of the actual mailbox or user account that the email address leads to.

With traditional email clients, the only supported way to log in right now is using your actual mailbox or user account.

(the disparity here is indeed a bit confusing, and we’re working on making it so that people can log in using the webmail-type method either way, though that’s not yet supported)

The login you use to access the web panel - known as a Web ID - is completely separate from the above, and should be considered a different account entirely. While it may have the same login/password as your email or FTP accounts (some people like to set it up that way), it is a distinctly different type of account.

• Jeff @ DreamHost
  • DH Discussion Forum Admin

[quote]the login for webmail is the first portion of
the email address that you want to log in with …
This is completely independent of the actual mailbox
or user account that the email address leads to.

[/quote]

That reminds me: when the address leads to /two/ mailboxes, the results are undefined. And confusing, since webmail puts you in one specific mailbox, but doesn’t tell you which one it is.

Since you mention that you’re going to extend this system to POP3/IMAP logins (which sounds like a great idea in pronciple) perhaps it would be good to get this sorted first. Likewise the problem wherein if you type an unrecognised webmail username in error, webmail can log you into someone else’s mailbox if it coincidentally has the same password. Very scary.

Good luck!