IP Pointing & MX Records

I want to create a subdomain foobar.mydomain.com and have it point to a static IP address that I have. I am having trouble figuring out how to do this in the panel.

Also I would like to set up a backup email server and give it a lower priority MX, however I don’t seem to be able to do this either.

Anyone figure this out?

Creating a subdomain and pointing it where you want is pretty straightforward.

Just go to the “Add Domain” section of the “Domains” tab of your webpanel. You are given the option of fully hosting the site, mirroring another site, or simply redirecting.

Sorry, I can’t help you with MX.

Redirecting to another website is not the same thing. While that is a bit of a hack for websites, what if you want to run other services other then http?

[quote]I want to create a subdomain foobar.mydomain.com and have it point to a static IP address

[/quote]

Unless you’re on Code Monster or above, you need to have support do this for you.

[quote]Also I would like to set up a backup email server and give it a lower priority MX

[/quote]

Are you using us for the primary MX? If so, I would highly advise against doing this.

In general, I would advise against using a backup MX unless you really know what you’re doing, and even then only if the primary MX is going to go down a lot or is on a flakey network connection.

Thanks for the reply, I have emailed support about it. I wanted to add it so that when it is time to switch the company over to their own exchange server everything would be good to go and just remove DreamHost from the MX, however I’ll just change the one you guys allow and hope foo doesn’t hit the fan :slight_smile:

The problem is that if you add it with a higher metric, and both of our servers happen to be down (or, more likely, unreachable from a particular network), you could run into problems if the other server is configured to deliver mail locally.

If you want to add a backup MX for the Exchange machine, support can add that manually for you. Probably a good idea to have them just pass it along to me so that it gets done properly.

I sent a request to support on Thursday at 5:30PM Eastern, requesting a subdomain added… I have since not heard anything back and it has been over 36 Hours… It is very urgent, what are the next steps I can take to get this accomplished? Is there a phone # I can call?

I think yours may have been one that I answered earlier today after I noticed that it had been in the queue for a while.

Looks like the first ticket about this accidentally got closed out with another support message, which is part of the reason it took so long.

Anyway, if yours wasn’t the one I setup, let me know (and give me a tracking # if you have one) and I’ll look into it.

Yes it is done now, it was me eariler. THank you for taking care of it.

Jeremy