IP hosting

After signing up for a dreamhost account I would like to host a couple of sites which are registered elsewere. Since they are .eu names, I will keep the registration with my current registrar.

However, my registrar told me that they need the IP of the server to which the hosting must point to. Apparently that’s something else then the name server IP info I have gotten from Dreamhost (ns1.dreamhostcom, 66.33.206.206, ns2.dreamhost.com, etc)

What is this IP adress?

[quote]Apparently that’s something else then the name server IP info I have gotten from Dreamhost (ns1.dreamhost.com, 66.33.206.206, ns2.dreamhost.com, etc)

What is this IP adress?[/quote]
Well, I suppose you could give them the IP address of the server DH has you on, but that certainly doesn’t seem right - DH DNS should handle that. DH can change your IP address, so that address is only of limited interest to a registrar.

You’ve got me stumped on this one - I’ve never seen a registrar need anything other than the DH nameservers and (on occasion) those IP addresses. :frowning:

–rlparker

Thanks for your reply.

The literal answer I got from them:
“Because the domain is configured with our nameservers, I can do nothing with the nameserver information. I need the IP for the server where the hosting has to point to”
(my translation from another language)

So what should I do? Point them out what you said?

[quote]The literal answer I got from them:
“Because the domain is configured with our nameservers, I can do nothing with the nameserver information. I need the IP for the server where the hosting has to point to”
(my translation from another language)

So what should I do? Point them out what you said?[/quote]
I’m happy to try and help, though I admit I am not sure how to counsel you on this one.

First, I would try telling them that I do not want the domain to be configured with “their” nameservers…I want it to be configured to Dreamhost’s nameservers (which would solve the problem). I can’t imagine that they could not do that for you (but then again, I know nothing about your registrar). Do they have any kind of a control panel where you can set your nameservers yourself?

You are certainly welcome to point them to my post, but I’m not sure that will help much if they cannot, or will not, point to DH nameservers.

As they persist in telling you they can’t do that, you might want to submit a support ticket to DH from the panel, and see what they say.

–rlparker

Thanks again for your help. Appreciated.

But I don’t understand this. They have a control panel in which I can change stuff. I can’t post an image here, so I’ll do it in plain text:
It’s a few rows with a number of columns. The columns with their options:
First col is Name with textfield,
then IN in which i can’t change anything.
then Type, with dropdown choices A, MX, NS
then Pri, with options -none-(A/secNS), 1 (prim NS), 10 (high pri MX), 20 (low pri MX), 30 (lower pri MX)

Then the different rows are *, ftp, localhost, mail1, mydomain.eu, www
I think I have tried every possible combination the last few days, but the site always pointed to the hosters (default) page.

Is there any good beginners-friendly explanation about this? I’ve read the wikipedia articles about DNS and I understand that. But what’s happening between hosts …

There are several roles that are important to understand:

1. Your registrar registers your domain name and is configured with the nameservers for your domain.
  2. Your DNS host provides your nameservers and allows you to configure the DNS records for your domain.
  3. Your web hosting service provides the web hosting for particular domains or subdomains and also provides email service. You can have a different hosting service for every subdomain and also can even have a different hosting service for just your email. Lots of people use Google Apps just for their email hosting, for example.

Most people will register their domain here at DreamHost, use DreamHost nameservers, and host their domain and email here. This is the most common configuration.

For people in your situation with a top-level domain (TLD) that DreamHost can’t be the registrar for, the most common configuration is to have DreamHost do #2 and #3. This involves setting ns1.dreamhost.com, ns2.dreamhost.com, and ns3.dreamhost.com in your registrar’s control panel. For the domains I have registered at my cpanel host, you can change the nameserver in the domain manager and have a variety of tools that I don’t like to manage the DNS records for your domain.

Which brings us to situation #3, which it seems to me that your registrar wants to do. They think you want to continue to use their nameservers and want to add an DNS record for your web host. This is possible but not ideal. If you wanted to host mydomain.eu at DreamHost, you would first create the site over at DreamHost and then modify the blank A record and the www A record to point to the IP address that you see in the DreamHost control panel. More on this later if you happen to need to go forward with it.

Free unique IP and $67 off with promo code [color=#CC0000]FLENSFREEIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]FLENS97[/color] for $97 off. Click here for more options

Lensman, thanks for your reply. Bit difficult to grasp entirely, but I think I get the main points.

What I think, after reading your explanation, is that my registrar does #1 and #2. They wrote an email to me explaining they have changed the nameservers for me, but as an exception. So it seems I cannot do that myself and they don’t do that normally.

They told me that from my control panel I can edit to which server (IP- address) my domains should point to. The changing of the nameserver itself (from ns6.myhost.nl to ns1.dreamhost.com) should be done with Eurid (http://www.eurid.eu/).

So it seems that I should ask Dreamhost for the IP to which to point my domains to (instead of the three IP’s of the nameservers I have gotten).

Is that correct?

As the others have said; The preferred solution would be to configure the domains to use the DreamHost name servers, but assuming this can’t be done (for whatever reason), you can obtain the IP address assigned to a particular domain from within the admin panel.

Go to Domains -> Manage Domains in the panel and click on the DNS link beneath the domain name, the correct IP address for the domain can then be obtained by looking at the top A-Record or WWW A-Record at the bottom of the page.

Note: The IP address assigned to a particular domain is subject to change, so you will need to keep track of this and make the relevant changes to your DNS records as required.

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost plans using [color=#CC0000]PRICESLASH[/color] promo code (Click for DreamHost promo code details)

Thanks. I’ll look up the IP. I was already wondering what that IP was.

Too bad it is subject to change. It wouldn’t be practical to check all domains each day.

So if I have more domains I want to host with Dreamhost but which I (have to) register with European registrars, I have to find a registrar with which it is easier to configure the nameserver myself?

While the IP addresses assigned to domains can change, in reality this doesn’t seem to happen very often, so I don’t think it will be a big problem.

That would be the preferred option. I am surprised that your current registrar doesn’t provide the means to easily change the name servers.

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost plans using [color=#CC0000]PRICESLASH[/color] promo code (Click for DreamHost promo code details)

Are you saying that they changed the nameservers for you to ns1.dreamhost.com, ns2.dreamhost.com and ns3.dreamhost.com? If so, you’re all set!

Free unique IP and $67 off with promo code [color=#CC0000]FLENSFREEIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]FLENS97[/color] for $97 off. Click here for more options

Lensman: I don’t know what they did. They changed something, somewhere with nameservers, in Eurid I think. Not in my control panel, so I can’t see what they did.

But, my domain is - finally - up! After 5 days messing around and like 12 emails to my registrar. There goes his profit on me for the next 2 yrs.

But I do know I’ll have to find another registrar in which changing nameservers is easier. As I won’t do this again.