IP Board

apps

Hello,

I have used the search facility before posting, and couldn’t find a definite answer.

I am thinking of purchasing the IP Board software, think I will be getting between 50-150 people online at one time, will a shared account hold up to this, or are there settings that will need to be set to help it to?

Thanks in advance.

On paper, it should.

I am curious tho… what made you decide on IPB as your application of choice?

I have used VBulletin, IP Board and PHPBB over the years as a user and moderator. I just prefer IP Board, find it easier to use.

When you say on paper it should; do you mean it will if nothing else is running along side it, or do you mean it will provided other shared users on my server don’t go nuts?

Thanks for the reply by the way!

Seems to me most of these forum softwares are pretty much the same. I have used them all as well. I started out on ikonboard 2x. This was EONS ago. I had never installed any type of software on a host myself before. After all was said and done though, I was able to install and modify anything (after many hours of help from one of the nice ikonboard admins that i was constantly harassing with my questions). I have fond memories of it. the guy who created ipb created ikonboard first and after a time decided to split off from them. the reason why i won’t touch the software now is because that guy promised ipb would always be free and he said he split from ikonboard because he did not like the turn the company was taking to commercialize the software (that was the gist of it anyway). i bet few people even remember that.

Give your support to other free open source alternatives.

[quote=“chrispud, post:3, topic:57167”]
When you say on paper it should; do you mean it will if nothing else is running along side it, or do you mean it will provided other shared users on my server don’t go nuts?[/quote]

What I mean is “Yes” - but I can’t personally guarantee that it will :smiley:

Shared hosting should be ample for 50-150 users on a forum. Apply some caching mechanism and it should be more than usable. If you were to run a couple popular Drupal sites and a blog with a thousand plugins alongside it then you might have some issues :wink:

If you haven’t made your purchase, you may also want to look at XenForo (www.xenforo.com). It was designed by two former vBulletin developers, and is a speedy, lightweight system with lots of features and good integration with Facebook and Twitter. There’s a growing add-on community, and good support from users and direct from the company.

All my forums are moved to XenForo, if you want to try them out for size. We ended up selling off our vBulletin licenses. As to IP Board, I played with the demo but never really liked it all that much. You may also want to consider MyBB, the board DreamHost uses. It doesn’t have all the features of the commercial brands, but it is free and not a big drain on system resources.

Personally, I’d worry over some board systems handling 50-150 consistent users on a shared system.