IP Access? need help quick!

I am trying to block out a range of IP address for my site and am not having any luck. I have read the directions on the wiki, but still no luck

I have installed joomla onto my system and modified the .htaccess file to read the following

Order Deny, Allow
Allow from xx.xxx
Deny from all

Why is this not working? Do I need to setup something on the Dreamhost side? As of right now, I am just editing the .htaccess file on the webFTP.

Please help!!

So you’re only allowing access to your site from a particular IP range?

I usually see the directive stated in terms of the IP range you’re denying. So if you want to deny 10.5.x.x

Order Allow, Deny Allow from all Deny from 10.5Free unique IP and $67 off with code [color=#CC0000]LMIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]LM97[/color] for $97 off. Click for more promo code discounts

Everybody with an IP of 20.158 for example should have access to the site. Everybody else should be denied.

When you say that it’s not working, what happens? Is the site denying everyone or is it allowing everyone?

Also, make sure that there isn’t another .htaccess overriding the one you’re editing.

Free unique IP and $67 off with code [color=#CC0000]LMIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]LM97[/color] for $97 off. Click for more promo code discounts

It’s weird, when I put the ‘Order Deny, Allow’ at the top of the script, it gives me an internal server error, but when I removed the ‘Order Deny, Allow’, it gives me a forbidden page.

Below the ‘Order Deny, Allow’ line in each instance, I have the following:

Deny from all
Allow from xx.xxx

In one post, you want to block a range. In another, you want to allow a range and exclude everybody else. Here’s how I only allow one range:

Order deny,allow
Deny from all
Allow from 10.150.25 # Local site

-Scott

Unless you think there are things you need to keep private, it might be time to publish larger portions of your .htaccess file to help people figure out what’s wrong with it.

Free unique IP and $67 off with code [color=#CC0000]LMIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]LM97[/color] for $97 off. Click for more promo code discounts