Invisible files & chmod probs

Why are our .htaccess files invisible in our directories now?

I am having trouble deleting some of of my directories that I don’t want anymore. I can delete all the visible files within them, but not the empty folders - they read that the file is not empty?

Also, I’m trying to intall a php message board and top lists, but I am unable to chmod some of my .dat files properly - says ‘make sure you have permissions to change this file’.

I was able to do all of this before with no problems. What has changed, and what do I need to do to make it work again.

Thanks for your help.

I can still see my .files using ssh. If your using ftp I believe there is a setting in your client to show hidden files.

If you cannot chmod a file you might not own it. ssh to the server and type ls -l

You can change the owner of a file with
chown username:group filename

“If you cannot chmod a file you might not own it. ssh to the server and type ls -l … You can change the owner of a file with chown username:group filename”

I don’t know what any of that means.

What does ssh to the server mean and where do I type “ls -l”

And where and how do I “change the owner of a file with
chown username:group filename”.

I made sure my thing says ‘view hidden files’ and I still can’t see my .htaccess files.

The only thing I am accustomed to doing is typing ftp://mysite.com into my web browser and dragging and dropping files into my site directories, and changing chmod properties of files by right clicking them. Can you use language for dummies please? Thank you.

P.S. I had been able to see my .htaccess files and chmod whatever, however, I wanted before, but all of a sudden like, within the last week or so I no longer can.

Please see: https://panel.dreamhost.com/kbase/index.cgi?area=2932

Thanks, but I am unable to get into the fileman folder. Am getting the ‘550 - make sure you have permission to access this file’ error message that has been freaking beeping at me all night.

It seems that my problem is that I USED to have ownership privileges, but for some reason dreamhost has changed something and I no longer do, and that is where all my probs are coming from.

I just looked at my groups on my dreamhost panel, I only have one group there and the owner reads: MY DOMAIN INSANE.

This is my default group. I am pretty sure it did not used to be that way, and it was recently changed by dreamhost. Probably happenned with that kernel they installed to fill the hole someone hacked recently? Anyway, I made a new group with me as owner, but I have no idea how to transfer my site to that group.

Please please help. Thanks.