Internal Service Error

Greetings,

I am getting the following error whilst trying to access our site:

[quote]Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@ypvoiceofoswego.org and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.[/quote]
Checked the error log and found this:

[Wed Oct 07 10:21:32 2009] [error] [client 66.249.68.66] php.cgi: error while loading shared libraries: libpspell.so.15: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
[Wed Oct 07 10:21:32 2009] [error] [client 66.249.68.66] Premature end of script headers: php.cgi

Dreamhost support said that if there is a problem with my php.ini file, that I need to fix it, but I don’t know where/what to look for in it to fix! Really am at a loss, can anyone help me out or tell me what they think I should do to fix it? I’m just guess as well, is it even the .ini that is causing this?

Would it be that the include path has changed on the new server? right now the .ini has it listed as - include_path = “.:/usr/local/php5/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php”

I greatly appreciate any help. My site has been down all week. Thanks so much.

• Dan

Did you customise your PHP environment?

Maximum Cash Discount on any plan with MAXCASH

How To Install PHP.INI / ionCube on DreamHost

Did you ever resolve this? if so, how?

I have a one-click joomla site that has log files with similar error messages.

What error messages are you receiving?

same as the previous user. Here’s the error log data with username and domain name replaced:

[Thu Oct 22 04:57:19 2009] [error] [client 74.41.27.215] php.cgi: error while loading shared libraries: libpspell.so.15: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
[Thu Oct 22 04:57:19 2009] [error] [client 74.41.27.215] Premature end of script headers: php.cgi
[Thu Oct 22 04:57:19 2009] [error] [client 74.41.27.215] File does not exist: /home/myusername/test.mydomain.org/internal_error.html
[Thu Oct 22 09:32:50 2009] [error] [client 74.41.27.215] php.cgi: error while loading shared libraries: libpspell.so.15: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
[Thu Oct 22 09:32:50 2009] [error] [client 74.41.27.215] Premature end of script headers: php.cgi
[Thu Oct 22 09:32:50 2009] [error] [client 74.41.27.215] File does not exist: /home/myusername/test.mydomain.org /internal_error.html

That looks like you’re using a custom build of PHP that will need to be rebuilt for the new server.

if i did edit that, where to edit?

my problem is fixed by following this instruction

http://paininthetech.com/2009/01/07/dreamhost-fix-internal-server-error-without-tech-support

That won’t actually fix smt4’s problem, though – at best, the solution provided there (forcing a server reconfig) will temporarily fix some load-related issues. It definitely won’t fix errors that are being caused by a custom PHP build that no longer runs at all.

Then what should I do?

If you only had a bad_httpd_conf error (which is specific to DreamHost) then the advice in that article is a sound solution.

Errors in the 500 range, however, can result from a variety of reasons and may require a bit of digging if they’re specific to one domain. Most often they’re caused by user misconfiguration of the environment via htaccess, regex, file masks, binary installation/linking/version. Even the installation of a poorly written plug-in can send out 500’s from an otherwise sound website.

As Andrew has pointed out above, users who have heavily customised their own environment and start seeing constant 500 errors “from out of nowhere” - or on every domain hosted on their account - should first check if they’ve recently been moved onto a new server. Moving from a shared 32bit server to a newer high-end 64bit server (or from shared 64bit to uber-user VPS) will require re-customisation due to the differences between binaries.

I did run your PHP.ini script. And my 500 error occurred after I received an email shown that my website was moved to a new server by DH. Do I have to re-customise anything? If so, how to do so?

Thanks in advance for your answer.

PS. I’m just a newbie webmaster so I might ask some stupid questions. Please bear with me ^^

If you used an auto-installer, just run the script again :wink:

Thanks a lot
I’ll try
^^