Integrating Gallery with Joomla

Hi

I’ve just started a hosting package with DH (www.reynard883.com), and I’m on a VERY steep learning curve at the moment. Enjoying it, sure, but it’s proving stressful at times.

I’m using Joomla to manage the site, although there is still a LOT more work to do before it becomes anywhere near how I want it, and I’ve also one-click-installed Gallery.

This is where the questions start (and I’m sorry if they seem even more noobish that usual).
Ideally, I want to integrate Gallery into Joomla, but the Gallery2 component I’ve downloaded just gives me nasty core.class errors (whatever they are), so for the time being I’ve given up on that unless I can find some decent information about it.
My second question therefore is even noobisher that that - how would I go about making a link to my gallery in Joomla? I guess I really need to sit down, relax and stop trying to learn so much at once, but I’m an impatient sort, and seem to bite off more than I can chew :frowning:

If you could provide some form of advice for a struggling fool, then I’d be most appreciative. Searching just uncovered complicated/specific answers that I didn’t find especially helpful.

Thanks and Regards,

Tristan

Pending a reply from someone who knows the answer this may help.

I have Joomla installed and I have Gallery2 installed (the latest one click installs).
They have both worked okay for some time.

So I had a go at doing what you want.

If you have not already have a look at this page/site. :-
http://www.gallery-addons.com/content/view/71/125/lang,en_US/

What I did was to download the bridge component zip file (83kb) for G2 at SourceForge:-
http://developer.joomla.org/sf/frs/do/viewRelease/projects.gallery2_bridge/frs.gallery2_bridge_2_0_x.component_version_2_0_13_only_fo

(this is for Gallery 2 2.1.x only which is the DreamHost version)

Then going into the Joomla admin page I selected the installer/component page and uploaded and installed the zip file (from my PC).

Then from the Joomla Admin components option you will see the component G2 has been added. Enter the config section and add the ‘server’ path to the G2 location and the URL to the G2 location.

At this stage I have not changed any other settings but have just added a button to the Gallery on the front page.
This works okay and I can bring up the Gallery2 front page embedded in Joomla.
I get a 404 error when trying to enter a gallery but I think that is just something not configured yet. I also seem to think that the albums in my Gallery2 were not set up as public when I installed G2 a long time ago :slight_smile:

But at least the component seems to work so it is just down to fine tuning now.

See how you go for now.

Norm

Opinions are my own views, not DreamHosts’.
I am NOT a DreamHost employee OK!! :@

You act on my advice at your own risk!

You, my friend, are a superstar. If you ever find yourself in the rolling hills of Norfolk* then I’ll buy you a drink and a cookie.

*Norfolk might be flat

Skeggy is my favourite place. :slight_smile:

As luck or otherwise would have it there is now a web outage (on my server if not systemwide) so do not panic if your DreamHost sites show a blank page!

Norm

Okay I have fixed the second part I was stuck on where the images did not display in Joomla.

You may or may not have this option set in Gallery2 (which I did) and it needs unsetting.

In Gallery2 admin page click ‘modules’ in the site admin page and deactivate ‘URL rewrite’.
Back to Joomla and clicking the embedded album should show the pictures as per Gallery2.

If you are using the CRON setting to run every 45 minutes then the line you need to enter

(SSH to your account and run crontab -e and enter the line then a blank line. Control-o then control-x following the instructions as given)

cron line is:-

45 * * * * /usr/local/bin/php -f /home/username/joomla.example.com/components/com_gallery2/cron/g2CronJob.php

(There is a space after the -f)

Norm