Installing Pootle

Pootle is an online translator. Neither the discussion forums nor Google are helpful with installing it on Dreamhost, so here goes.

It’s written in Python, which I don’t know. When I run “python setup.py install” (on one of the dependencies), it gives me…

running install_lib
creating /usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/translate
error: could not create ‘/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/translate’: Permission denied

Now, I understand what the problem is – the script wants to install packages on the system-wide instance of Python, which only root can do. The question is, is there some workaround for this, like my own local instance of Python?

That’s one way, but did you try installation as non-root under your area?

Yes, I did – that’s how I got this far. The trouble comes at this line (from the page you linked):

The PootleServer script, that invokes Pootle, is placed as usr/bin/PootleServer while the rest of the files are placed in usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/.

The second part of this sentence is what’s not allowed.

If you follow the instructions linked to above it looks like you can set the paths that pootle uses, and tell it not to install in /usr - the example shows /home/pootle/user/bin. Are you sure you’ve got the instructions right?

–Matttail
art.googlies.net - personal website