Installing mplayer in $HOME directory w/ -lmp3lame

Hello,

Ok, I am trying to use the user shell access to install mplayer, specifically to use mencoder and it’s ilk, and have it work from the $HOME directory.

Everything actually works fine, until I try to use a script that actually exec’s the mencoder CLI script that saves the .flv file.

I receive an error (in the shell environment; the script actually executes with no error evident) when I run the exec’d code (the one that’s supposed to create .flv file).

There is no check to see if the file was actually created in the upload script (ClipShare).

So, I got the write file shell script echo’d out and copied and pasted and received a to-the-effect response of “mplayer: There is no MP3LAME support.”

So then I uninstalled and re-installed, and saw the line that says "Checking for libmp3lame (mencoder) in the ./configure checklist.

I dug around and found the ./configure file switch (in the configure build file) to force libmp3lame support to link (no command line variable, nothing like --enable-libmp3lame… that would be too easy).

So I turned _mp3lame=no into _mp3lame=yes.

Assume libogg and libvorbis and ffmpeg all installed fine (it appears they have). The only stubborn piece is the LAME library.

So, I do the following to build LAME and then mplayer (and mencoder):

export LDFLAGS=-L$HOME/lame
export TMPDIR=$HOME/tmp

cd ~/unzip/lame-3.97
./configure --exec-prefix=$HOME/lame; make; make install

cd ~/unzip/mplayer
./configure --prefix=$HOME; make; make install

And the response I get is:

[b]$ make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/.tgo/grantmx/unzip/mplayer/osdep’

[quote]cc -o mplayer mplayer.o m_property.o mp_fifo.o mp_msg.o mixer.o parser-mpcmd.o subopt-helper.o command.o asxparser.o codec-cfg.o cpudetect.o edl.o find_sub.o get_path.o m_config.o m_option.o m_struct.o mpcommon.o parser-cfg.o playtree.o playtreeparser.o spudec.o sub_cc.o subreader.o vobsub.o unrarlib.o libvo/libvo.a libao2/libao2.a input/libinput.a vidix/libvidix.a libmpcodecs/libmpcodecs.a libaf/libaf.a libmpdemux/libmpdemux.a stream/stream.a libswscale/libswscale.a libvo/libosd.a libavformat/libavformat.a libavcodec/libavcodec.a libavutil/libavutil.a libpostproc/libpostproc.a loader/libloader.a mp3lib/libmp3.a liba52/liba52.a libmpeg2/libmpeg2.a libfaad2/libfaad2.a tremor/libvorbisidec.a dvdread/libdvdread.a libdvdcss/libdvdcss.a osdep/libosdep.a -lXext -lX11 -lpthread -lXv -lXinerama -lXxf86vm -lXxf86dga -lfaac -lmp3lame -L/usr/X11R6/lib -L/home/grantmx -lncurses -lpng -lz -ljpeg -lfreetype -lz -lfontconfig -lz -lpthread -ldl -rdynamic -lm
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lmp3lame
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [mplayer] Error 1
[fiat]$[/b]

[/quote]

I have also followed the instructions (I think) in the wiki for the LAME and mplayer installation, so I have a /bin and /lib/ and /share and so on.

Anybody have any idea why I can’t get this to work? The LDFLAGS thing seems to me to be where it’s not working.