Installing forum in subdirectory

i have a site with wordpress installed already. now i want to run a forum like this

http://www.sitename.com/forum

i can simple create a folder, install the forum software. but should i use the mysql database that is already there for the blog (wordpress) or should i create a separate database for forum?

use MEEVY as promocode for $97 off (new registrations)

I’d recommend creating a new database for the forum. I don’t think you have to create a new sql subdomain for the database, but I know others who do like to do this.

You should also consider putting your forum in a subdomain like forum.yourdomain.tld. It’s a pretty common pattern and somehow seems very “clean” and separates out all the forum software into a completely separate web directory.

Free unique IP and $67 off with code [color=#CC0000]LMIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]LM97[/color] for $97 off. Click for more promo code discounts

[quote]I’d recommend creating a new database for the forum. I don’t think you have to create a new sql subdomain for the database, but I know others who do like to do this.

You should also consider putting your forum in a subdomain like forum.yourdomain.tld. It’s a pretty common pattern and somehow seems very “clean” and separates out all the forum software into a completely separate web directory.[/quote]
can you tell me the procedure to do so.

You mean for installing your forum in a subdomain? Or just the creating a new database?

Free unique IP and $67 off with code [color=#CC0000]LMIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]LM97[/color] for $97 off. Click for more promo code discounts

lensman thanks. it worked.

Fantastic! Apologies for being slightly slow on the replies, but I had to put my computer back together tonight!

Which way did you go? the /forum route or the subdomain?

its actually http://forums.meevy.com. i did as you said.

Nice!

Another quick tip that helped me out recently is this one by rocesfamily on a good phpbb anti-spam mod.