Installing Apache?

I’m trying to install Apache for the first time. I’m getting the following error when I try to start it:

Permission denied: make_sock: could not bind to address 0.0.0.0:80 no listening sockets available, shutting down
Unable to open logs

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

Are you installing Apache in DH or in your home computer?

Save $50 (MAX Discount) with code: [color=#CC0000]50YES[/color] Sign Up NOW or More Codes Here

I’m installing it on DH.

I need MySQL, PHP & Apache installed for my app to work.

I setup my MySQL DB, now I was looking at PHP & Apache. Do I need to install these, or are they already installed on DH?

Thanks

Apache and php are already installed at Dreamhost.

3 extra lifetime domains and (the new maximum) $50 off with code [color=#CC0000]3DOM50[/color]. More Dreamhost coupons

Guess that would explain why it wouldn’t start.

Thanks!!

Hey, anytime! Isn’t it always nice to hear that things are easier than you thought? :slight_smile:

Let us know if you have any trouble getting your scripts and such to work. There are lots of php super-geniuses here! (not me, I just know it’s installed here along with apache)

extra domains and the new maximum $50 off with codes [color=#CC0000]1DOM50, 2DOM50 and 3DOM50[/color]. More Dreamhost coupons

Here’s a hint - DH is “Shared” hosting which means that none of us have “root” on these machines. We share it with 100 or so of our dearest friends that we never see but complain about all the time.

All of the “basics” - Apache, mysql, php and many many other things are already ready to go on your server. Look around through the control panel and the wiki (http://wiki.dreamhost.com) before doing anything drastic and ask on the forums here and maybe we can save you lots of effort!

Wholly - Use promo code WhollyMindless for discount.

And you cannot install anything which run as persistent process (such as apache) in your DH shared server.

TTL
Get Dreamhost hosting 600 GB space with $50 off plus 1 extra lifetime domain with [color=#00CC00]CHRISTMAS2007[/color] promo code
[color=#00CC00]SIGN UP NOW !![/color]

You can - it will just fail to start or get killed. And if dh gets mad, then it would be not good.

Wholly - Use promo code WhollyMindless for discount.