Install Composer wiki in need of update


Hello everyone, I encountered a problem today after I installed Composer on my VPS server using the instructions provided here: I’m not super experienced when it comes to command line or bash so bear with me. In the “Install Globally” section on the wiki, I recommend that steps 6, 7, 8, 9 be updated because they caused me quite a bit of time and frustration. The problem that occurred happened because step 9 told me to add the following line to my .bashrc file:

Meanwhile, in my .bash_profile (which I failed to notice) there was this line:

As you can see, this would cause an infinite loop of sourcing each file over and over again. Every time I tried to login via ssh on my VPS it did not allow me to type any commands to see what the issue was. This also caused my CPU to sky rocket to 100%. I ended up solving this by logging in via FTP (instead of SFTP or ssh) and editing the two files. I ended up removing the: source .bash_profile line from my .bashrc file and instead added the export PATH=/home/<username>/.php/composer:$PATH line that is listed in step 6 to .bashrc.

Anyway, I hope this helps anyone in the future that experiences this issue or hopefully the wiki will get updated to prevent the issue from ever happening again.

Much love,