Install/Compile PHP 5 [? RE: .htaccess file]

I feel like a real idiot not being able to figure this out by myself - perhaps some sleep would help. However, I just installed/compiled PHP 5 so that I could work with PHPList utilizing the necessary IMAP component.

Installation seemed to go fine without a hitch.

The directions I used to do the install can be found here:
http://wiki.dreamhost.com/index.php/Installing_PHP5

I’m currently stuck on step 8.

Step 8] After it has finished you will need to edit your .htaccess file appropriately. Add the following:

AddHandler phpFive .php
Action phpFive /cgi-bin/php.cgi

to a file called .htaccess and place it in the root folder of your domain you specified above (/home/YOUR USERNAME/YOUR DOMAIN HERE/.htaccess)

FIRST QUESTION:
Does this .htaccess file already exist somewhere or do I have to create it myself? I'm assuming we have to create it. 

Cause I'm looking all over and the only .htaccess file that I see is the one that I previously uploaded with the PHPList program. [which is currently under the 
root /domain.com /public_html /lists ] folder

SECOND QUESTION:
The .htaccess file is supposed to be placed in the 
root / directory 
... correct?

THIRD QUESTION:
Since I just installed PHP 5 - would I have to go back and erase the PHPList emailing program and reinstall it in my directory- in order for it to function with the newly installed PHP 5? Or would it still work?

Also the database that I created to work with PHPList ... would that too have to be recreated since I compiled a new version of PHP 5?

I hope these question makes sense :)!

Please forgive me if these questions seem like nonsense, but I've been working all night trying to get PHPList to work. At this point my brain seems to be fighting me.

Thank you very very kindly, 
User24

If your domain name is blows.com, do this:

cd ~/blows.com
pico .htaccess

and add

AddHandler phpFive .php
Action phpFive /cgi-bin/php.cgi

–~ is your home directory, blows.com is your website’s root directory and pico is a text editor. Don’t forget to do this in SSH.

Use the promo code WARPT000 when signing up to get 70 dollars off your hosting plan!

Warpt!

That was it! Thank you so very much for your help!
I don’t know why I just didn’t think of SSH’ing in.

Thanks again for the help.
– User24

You’re very much welcome :stuck_out_tongue:

I’d suggest looking into the Linux console, it’s one hell of a powerful tool… and thanks to Dreamhost’s incredible generosity, we have full access to it hopefully without a catch :stuck_out_tongue: If there’s anything else I can help you with feel free to reply or PM me.

Use the promo code WARPT000 when signing up to get 70 dollars off your hosting plan!