Index

My site is majordisaster4u.net when I created a folder threw ftp and added files to share with people when I click the link I get 404 Not Found. majordisaster4u.net/stuff.

I would I get this to work? I want to be able to create folders threw ftp add files to them then give out the link to friends so they can download/view the files and pictures I put there. thanks

I’m not clear on what the problem is. The site seems fine to me. It’s also not clear to me that you just created a folder and added files to share with people. The site seems fully designed and functional.

Free unique IP and $67 off with promo code [color=#CC0000]LMIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]LM97[/color] for $97 off. Click for more promo code discounts

Assuming the “stuff” directory is beneath the majordisaster4u.net directory on your server, it sounds/looks like your “gallery” might be using apache mod_rewrite rules in an .htaccess file to “re-map” stuff.

Do you have an “.htaccess” file in the majordisaster4u.net directory, and if so, what are it’s contents?

–rlparker

it’s not the gallery I’m having trouble with, I created a folder named “stuff” then I added report.txt in the folder when I click on the link I get 404 Error
majordisaster4u.net/stuff/Report.txt
same thing happens when I upload a file I click the link to download the file I get 404 error

there is no .htaccess" file in the majordisaster4u.net dir I have a folders named

gallery
logs
stuff

arguughhh! it is so hard to tell what is going on with a “flash” site when you can’t see the directories and their contents.

In your response to lensman:

[quote]same thing happens when I upload a file I click the link to download the file I get 404 error

[/quote]
Where are you uploading a file too, what file are you uploading, and where are you finding a link to click on if you can’t load any of your other directories?

–rlparker

I used a ftp program to connect to my ftp account I create the folder “stuff” with that then I uploaded the files threw the ftp program to that folder…

I right click on the file threw the ftp program it gives me the url which now I think about it that’s weird because my gallery url is majordisaster4u.net and not majordisaster4u.net/gallery where it’s installed to.

You are on to something there…but what bothers me is that you cannot browse past your majordisaster4u.net “gallery” to a subdirectory beneath majordisaster4u.net. It’s llike your gallery, at the web “root” dir, is “blocking” access to the subdirectories.

If your gallery was installed at majordisaster4u.net/gallery - it wouldn’t/shouldn’t make any difference if you can’t browse beneath that dir - flash is handling that gallery in its own way.

Doing that should leave you able to browse to majordisaster4u.net, and see the subdirectories, and click them to enter them. :wink:

–rlparker

yeah I was thinking the same thing do you know what can cause this? is there a way I can start over? like when I first singed up if possible not delete my gallery if not then I’ll delete it.

I’m sorry but I know nothing about how your flash-based gallery works.

If it is completely self-contained, and it might be, you might be able to move it to the majordisaster4u.net/gallery subdirectory by either copying all the files in that directory to that location in the shell, or by re-uploading all the files into that gallery subdirectory and deleting all the files (not dirs!) in the majordisaster4u.net directory.

–rlparker

mm I wander if I delete the account majordisaster4u.net domain from here
http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x173/MajorDisaster4u/hgh.jpg
then add it again will that give me a fresh start? would that cause me to have to pay again?

[quote]I wander if I delete the account majordisaster4u.net domain from here
http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x173/MajorDisaster4u/hgh.jpg
then add it again will that give me a fresh start? would that cause me to have to pay again?[/quote]
You won’t be actually deleting the “account”, only the domain, so you could “start over” by re-adding the domain again without having to pay again.

That said, there is no need to do that at all. If you do, you will have to wait for DNS to update again when you “re-add” the domain. Just delete/move the file contents of the directories and “start over” by re-uploading your files (this time to the correct directory, to avoid this additional, and needless, delay.

Your FTP program should let you do that easily enough, and that’s the way I would go if you are not comfortable/proficient using the shell. :wink:

–rlparker

that’s just it the gallery is in the gallery folder yet when you goto url majordisaster4u.net/gallery you get 404 error but majordisaster4u.net/ works. weird

Are you absolutely sure that there is not an .htaccess file in your web base directory(majordisaster4u.net)?

Note that many (maybe even most) ftp clients do not display “hidden” files (like .htacess and other “.” files!) unless you enable their display with an option in your ftp client’s setting.

What you are describing still sounds as though majordisaster4u.net is being redirected to majordisaster4u.net/gallery.

–rlparker

I’m positive there is no .htacess in majordisaster4u.net root when I first singed up there was a blank one and I deleted that, is there a option in the control panned to redirected? I want to see if it’s being redirected if so where?

There should not have been “a blank one” in the directory space unless you uploaded it (or maybe set it up initially to be redirected).

Well, yeah there are several things you could have done at initial setup time to effectively “redirect” it. You could have set it up as a redirected domain, mirrored, cloaked, etc. instead of fully hosted. You also could have set it up fully hosted and set the domain’s “base” or “home” directory to be /home/youruser/majordisaster4u.net/gallery (which would account for what you are seeing happen!).

You can check this by visitng the Control Panel -> Domains -> Manage Domains screen, and clicking the “Edit” link under the “Web Hosting” column to see what is there.

–rlparker

it’s fix now :slight_smile:
I set my site’s “web directory” to:

/home/majordisaster/gallery/
when it should be
/home/majordisaster/majordisaster4u.net/

Hey, I’m glad you figured it out! I apologize for botching up understanding what your original problem was.

Free unique IP and $67 off with promo code [color=#CC0000]LMIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]LM97[/color] for $97 off. Click for more promo code discounts

I’m glad you got it fixed!

–rlparker