Index.html appeared in subdomain; file created by root and renamed index.php

This morning I had no problems accessing my wiki on my subdomain. However about an hour and a half ago I was having problems accessing my wiki, the attempts to load the page would fail after trying for over a minute to connect. After about 30 minutes of unable to load my wiki I began receiving a blank page. When I tried to load index.php to access my wiki, the file could not be found. After ssh’ing in and looking at the contents of my subdomain I found this:

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1 2011-01-30 19:50 index.html -rw-r--r-- 1 mikewendt pg4326232 4329 2010-01-01 13:09 index.php.old

I did not rename my index.php to index.php.old and I did not create the index.html file. I’m not sure how this got here but after removing the index.html file and renaming the index.php file my wiki was back up.

I don’t know if anyone else has experienced this problem, but I wanted to get insight from others as to what could have happened and how (if possible) to prevent this from happening again.

The following information is about the subdomain:
DNS entry comment: ‘http on grumium:apache2-vat’

While I was unable to load the wiki, I was able to use WebFTP and regular FTP to access the subdomain.

Any insight is appreciated.