Importing MySQL Databases

I’m trying to move my forum over from my old host, so I saved the data from the old database and I was trying to import it into my DreamHost database.

Only problem is, my .sql file is too large. I looked through the PHPMyAdmin docs and the it says the limit should have been removed in the newer versions, but it hasn’t. Is this a DreamHost limitation, and is there any way I can get my database imported?

How big is it? But that shouldn’t matter if you import manually. If you use standard FTP, you can upload it to your home directory, and then use the command line (via telnet or SSH) to import it:

mysql -u username -ppassword -h hostname databasename < filename.sql

-Scott

You will find a wealth of helpful information about migrating a MySQL database on this wiki page.

Simon Jessey | Keystone Websites
Save $97 on yearly plans with promo code [color=#CC0000]SCJESSEY97[/color]

phpMyAdmin is a poor way of importing databases anyway, reguardless of size.

Do like Scott said, if you’re familiar with the command line. If you’re not, follow the Wiki that Simon posted.

yerba# rm -rf /etc
yerba#

Okay, I’ve done that, but a little over halfway through the import using PuTTY, I get an error:

ERROR 1067 (42000) at line 79770: Invalid default value for ‘logTime’

I tried importing the database twice, and each time I received this error in return. It imported the first half of the database fine, as far as I can tell.

EDIT: Nevermind, I found the problem, I believe. An error in my database. I’m seeing about fixing it right now.

Thanks for all your help!