Import into mysql

How do I import data into mysql and tell mysql to only add new records or update just the changed records and leave the rest of the data the same.

Here is what I am trying to do. I currently use Telemagic as my database and have been for over 15 years. It is a property management business and I want to export just the properties that are available. I have the export part down. It’s just that when I import into mysql, the existing records do not update with new changes or new data.

It seems that I have to delete all the existing data and import all new records. If I do this, then the links to to pictures will get deleted too. I want those fields/links to stay the same, but only update if other data changes.

Does any of this make sense to anyone out there? I want to continue using Telemagic for my data because I also use it for wordprocessing/merging with hundreds of forms/letters used in the business. I don’t want to start all over and create a whole new database just to have dynamic data for the website.

I am extremely new to mysql, so any suggestions would be very much appreciated. Be kind!!!

Thanks in advance for any help!

Here is an extremely simple database insert code. This is for learning purposes only. If you change this to allow input from a user, make sure to add measures to prevent the user from tampering with your database.

submit.php

[code]

Database Insert Test

Database Insert Test

<?php include ('dbconnect.inc'); $dbh = mysql_connect($host, $username, $password) or die("No access"); mysql_select_db($database); $stmt = ("INSERT INTO dynamicinfo (num, Date, text) VALUES (NULL, '2008/6/19', 'PHP test')"); $sth = mysql_query($stmt); mysql_close ($dbh); ?> [/code]dbconnect.inc

<?php $username='username'; $password='password'; $host='subdomain.domain.com'; $database='mydatabasename'; ?> Double check the date above, I may have the day and month backwards.
Hope this helps,
Silk

My website

If you’re not opposed to using a 3rd party tool, you should check out the Data UpLoader to mySQL on this web site: http://pervasivedatatools.com. You can map data from Telemagic to mySQL, and it allows you to do inserts and updates in the same pass.