IMAP/Thunderbird

apps

All-

Using various versions of Thunderbird as well as the E-mail side of the full Mozilla suite, folder indices for my DreamHost-hosted IMAP mail are routinely (often thrice daily) lost and rebuilt. No messages are lost, but because of the size of the folders, the re-downloading of message headers and re-indexing can take substantial amounts of time.

I have not been able to identify any triggering behaviors, and it affects multiple users and multiple computers.

Anyone else 1) experienced this and 2) solved it?

Thanks,

a

Experienced it, but haven’t solved it… please let me know if you do figure it out, it’s driving me bonkers.

I have expirenced this issue once or twice, definatly not as frequently as you mention. Perhaps once every 2 or 3 months at best. I do not believe this is a DH issue, but a thunderbid issue. That said have you tried searching /posting in the official Tbird suport forums?

–Matttail
art.googlies.net - personal website

I think mattail has the right idea. I have, like him, experienced the same thing, but not to the degree you describe. I researched the hell out of it and found that this behavior is a known “issue” with Thunderbird/Mozilla.

It seems to revolve around the index file in your profile becoming corrupted, and usually manifests itself once you get a “significant” number of email in a folder (for me, that was around 3700).

The recommended “workarounds” don’t really resolve the issue, but will correct the situation once this starts to happen, and involve deleting the offending index file (not the message file!), and letting Thunderbird/Mozilla recreate it. There is a lot of discussion on this on the mozillazine website.

FWIW, I have gotten the problems to become a “non issue” by keeping my “inbox” relatively empty of messages (I “move” them into other storage folders regularly) which seems to be less taxing on the indexing system and seems to keep the file from being corrupted. This presumes, of course, that you have a “clean” index (per the preceeding paragraph) to start with. Of course, YMMV.

It is and irritation, but I still prefer Thunderbird :wink:
–rlparker

3700 messages in a single folder?
Wow.
I couldn’t do it. I’m used to managing “postmaster” and “abuse” role accounts for some 37 domains and I still couldn’t even begin to manage 3700 messages.
Firstly, SUBFOLDERS ARE YOUR FRIEND!
I probably have about 8000-9000 messages over the past year or so but they’re divvied-up into their respective domain/client folders.
Secondly, ARCHIVING ARE YOUR FRIEND!
Copy all that muck off into a zipfile every now and then, eh?

Absolutely correct in every respect! It was only laziness that ever allowed that situation to exist, and once I got in the habit of keeping the folders manageable, as you suggest, the problem the original poster described went away (for me).

Both your points are well taken!

–rlparker