IMAP: The Curious Vanishing Email?

I’m having an odd IMAP mail problem. It’s been bugging me for about 2 weeks, and I just can’t figure it out. Here’s hoping someone can offer some guidance:

I’m trying to download my DH email with various IMAP mail clients. Thing is, not all of the email sent to my account is being downloaded by the clients. In fact, the only way I’m able to see most of my email is to log into SquirrelMail. No email gets downloaded–except for lots of spam (I have no spam filters set up right now, while I’m trying to figure this out).

I’ve tried to download mail in:

Mail.app
Thunderbird
iPhone mail
Opera

–none of these clients will download the IMAP messages (except for the spam).

I can’t even mail a message to myself (it just doesn’t appear in the mail clients). But, if I mail a message to another DH address which forwards to the address I’m trying to use, that DOES appear.

I’m at a complete loss! What in the world would cause this?

My first question is did this ever work?

I use Mail.app with IMAP and used the following wiki article to get my setup working properly:
http://wiki.dreamhost.com/Mac_OS_X_Mail_10.4

-Scott

Thanks for replying! :smiley:

No, I’ve used POP for many years. But between my mobile devices and work email, I figured it was time to switch to IMAP.

I get SOME email–just never stuff I want. In fact, I think the only email my clients are actually downloading is spam. And that’s why I think it’s a server issue, since every client is doing the same thing.