Imap-server problems

I have been unable to access my email for two days now due to a “connection dropped by imap-server” error. I’ve submitted two support requests to DH and haven’t heard anything! It’s a huge problem for me to be without my email right now and I’m getting desperate – anyone ever run into this problem and/or have any ideas how to fix it?? I’ve found pages online that suggest this sometimes happens when a mailbox gets too full, but I know this is not the case here.

Did you submit your ticket as an site outage / emergency? Also, can you get your E-mail through webmail? I know that’s not IMAP but it could provide a way to access your messages temporarly. If not, it probably would be a good idea to include that with your support message.

I can’t remember the deatils right now, but I remember reading a messwage on this forum before where someone was having trouble retreving message becuase of E-mails coming in wiht messed up headers and it was somehow managing to break the system. Possibly if you can log into webmail you might find an offending message and be able to delete it. Or maybe not, becuase I might be way off here. Who knows.

-Matttail

I submitted the second request as an “emergency” status request, but still nothing. And yes, webmail is also down… I also just found out that when I log into my domain through my ftp client, there are no files listed there at all. It’s just… empty. Parts of my website still work, but other things, like cgi applications, are also down.

The most frustrating thing about all of this is hearing NOTHING from support and seeing nothing on the announcements, status, etc.

Thanks for the ideas, though!

I think it might be a good idea to put in a sigguestiosn (panel > sigguestons) to flag support tickets when they have been read by support personel, when they are beign worked on, etc. That way people could know how things are going with their request.

Also, just a side note. the status.dreamhost.com is only for system wide issues, it’s intention is not for ‘one or two servers are haivng issues and we’re working on them’.

Announcements can be used for this purpose, but I think a lot of the time issues are not server wide.

Hope you get this solved soon. Good luck.

-Matttail

[quote]can you get your E-mail through webmail? I know that’s not IMAP

[/quote]

We wish. DH webmail very often gives IMAP server errors here.

[quote]Also, just a side note. the status.dreamhost.com is only for system wide issues,

[/quote]

Not even that. As it says:

“This page is only updated if our primary system is unavailable.”

which makes is somewhat useless for 99% of the service failures that users experience.

[quote]I have been unable to access my email for two days
now due to a “connection dropped by imap-server” error.

[/quote]

Try POP3.