IMAP Rejecting all Connections

When trying to connect to IMAP via Thunderbird, I get this message:

Unable to connect to your IMAP server. You may have exceeded the maximum number of connections to this server. If so, use the Advaned IMAP Server Settings dialog to reduce the number of cached connections.

Then when trying webmail, I get this:

ERROR: Connection dropped by IMAP server.

Same problem here, maybe we should send a troubleshooting ticket to dreamhost.

As the moment i submit the problem, it was solve for me.

This is resolved for me now, but the slowness issues remain. Time to switch hosts I guess, they don’t seem to be fixing the problem after 6 weeks.

I always got a Connection Time Out, when i want to list a folder like my sent folder or trash folder that contain a lot of mails…

You’re not alone. We’re pretty amazed these days when we can actually read our mail. Every day we see the dropped connections, timeouts, and/or complete outages.

Had the same problem. Changed the outoing port to 587 as instructed in http://wiki.dreamhost.com/index.php/Mozilla_Thunderbird and it works now, maybe it does the trick for you too;-)

The problem was not sending (which is what port 587 is for). I could not login to any IMAP server to check mail. The problem was fixed after contacting support, so my configuration was not the problem, Dreamhost had issues (again).

No, you didn’t.

If we were having a problem sending email because our ISP was blocking outbound port 25, that’s what I would have does as well. It doesn’t fix DH’s constantly broken IMAP servers, however.