Image on a form in Perl

software development

I seem to have forgotten everything I once knew about perl after several years of working in php instead. I just wanted to pretty up an input form in a perl script by adding a image of our logo. Here’s what I have been trying:

use strict;
use CGI qw(:standard);
use CGI::Carp qw(fatalsToBrowser);
use File::Copy;

my $logo = ‘YKFPlogo.jpg’;
my $logo_url = ‘http://ykfp.org/cgi-bin/YKFPlogo.jpg’;

sub display_form {
print
start_multipart_form(-action => url ()),
"Submit your file to YKFP: ",
br (),
filefield (-name => $file_field, -size => 90),
br (),
submit (-name => $submit_field, -value => $submit_value),
br (),
br (),
print img ({-src => $logo_url});
end_form ();
return;
}

I made a copy of the logo jpg right in my cgi-bin directory with the script just so I wouldn’t be confused by path string syntax errors. I’ve tired both the url and the file name as the source, and tried syntax like print ", but all I ever see on the form is a “1” instead of the image.

This should be easy for you guys.

This signature line intentionally blank.

Well, I already figured out I misspelled the logo file name. Now the logo appears on the form, but at the top not the end, and I still get the 1 at the bottom of the form.

Drop the "print"s from your code. The CGI utility functions print stuff when you call them and return 1.

Thanks, I’m back in business now.

I thought maybe I could center the image by adding the align=>CENTER to the form like
img ({-src => $logo_url,-align=>CENTER});

but I get the error: Bareword “CENTER” not allowed while “strict subs” in use. Is centering a different syntax or do I need to drop the use of strick? If I put CENTER inside double or single quotes, it runs but doesn’t change alignment.

The align attribute on images affects vertical alignment, not horizontal alignment. If you want to horizontally align the image, you’ll have to wrap it in a center tag (or div align=center).

That was not accurate. The functions return string values. He forgot that perl statements are terminated by semicolons.

print 1, 2;

Not only writes output but it also is successful and returns the value 1.

So if we pass a call to print as an argument to print…

print ‘a’, ‘b’, print ‘c’;

We end up with “cab1” because the arguments are evaluated then written as output.

Worse yet he had:

print ‘a’, ‘b’, print ‘c’; ‘d’;

And of course since ‘d’ wasn’t being passed in a call to print it did not get written as output.

Customer since 2000 :cool: openvein.org | Please don’t feed the trolls. :@

Badurrr! My bad - you’re entirely correct.