Image directory for Drupal one click install?

Hi,

I’ve found several posts with the same question but I’m still stumped. I’ve done a one click Drupal install and started exploring how to set up a site. everything is making sense for the most part except one issue. I’m not able to add images to content using html img tags. I am using ‘full html’ on the page so I believe the problem is that one click installs for Drupal do not provide ftp access to the subdomain for creating a file directory. Because of this I can’t actually upload the images I’m trying to link to. Is there a way to host the images on my main domain instead? All my attempts to do this have failed so it might be impossible or I might just need some information on what the address should look like in the img tag.

If it’s not possible to create a file directory for Drupal one click installs, I don’t actually get how it is useful at all… especially for beginners. Hopefully, this is not the case and I just need to learn something.

I emailed support… but no response.

Thanks for any help,

‘Simple’ one click install = files are served from a central repository. You have no access to the storage area.

‘Custom’ one click install = the applications files are stored under your domains directory to which you have full ftp access.

It sounds like you did a ‘simple’ one click install, but really wanted ‘custom’.

Thanks for the quick response LakeRat. The one click Drupal installation only allows for the ‘simple’ option. This leads me to believe that you can’t actually link to any directories if you use this service. The interesting part is that if you add an image field to a Drupal page, you can upload an image directly using the Drupal UI. This option doesn’t allow for formatting on a page or multiple images per page. I’m really surprised that something this basic is not possible.

I guess I’ll have to try and manually install Drupal just to be able to have multiple images on a single page.

I had forgotten the drupal one click was only simple. It’s really not to hard to do, I set up drupal as a test once recently. Let us know if you have questions.

This is an update of my experience for any other new users of Drupal on DreamHost. I hope it helps.

I was able to get images onto a page using a standard Drupal 7.x install (I used 7.4) and this is how I did it.

1- download Drupal 7.x zip from Drupal.org
2- unzip the archive and manually move the contents of the ‘drupal-7.x’ folder into your domain name directory on the DreamHost server. You can access this area through the web control panel for your DreamHost account. Click on ‘Manage Users’ in the toolbox and then ‘webFTP login’. The webFTP upload won’t allow you to upload a zip archive of this size so you have to do it in parts. (Tip: you can zip the individual folders and upload them as archives of files, then upload the other files using the single file uploader.)
3- Next, go back to the web control panel on DreamHost and enter the ‘MySQL Database’ section from the toolbox. Create a new database and remember what you use as host name etc. you’ll need to enter this information during the Drupal install.
4- Go to your website address after making sure that the domain is fully hosted and not parked. This is controlled in the ‘Manage Domains’ section of the toolbox.
5- You should see a login field to begin the Drupal install. Follow the prompts and add your database information when asked. Also make sure to replace the ‘local’ option in the advanced settings with your database name as well. I think this is required for DreamHost.
6- If all goes well, you should be able to complete the Drupal install. Once that’s done, you can create some content but first you might want to put your site in ‘maintenance mode’ (Home » Administration » Configuration » Development).
7- Next, create a basic page from the ‘Add content’ link on the default home page.
8- In the body of this page use an html image tag to reference an image you’ll place on your FTP site. It should look like this

The part at the end “#overlay-context=node/1” was the bit that kept this from working for me.
9- Change the text drop down menu in the editor to ‘Full HTML’.
10- Go back to your FTP interface and upload the image file you named in the html img tag to ‘YOURDOMAINNAME/sites/default/files’

And that’s it! Simple right? Not really, but as far as I can tell this is the easy way using the standard modules in Drupal 7.

Drupal is never recommended for beginners. Sometimes it is a lot of pain to make basic features work. If you want an image gallery style website, then go for scripts like plogger.