I'm a HostGator refugee and I'm in a pickle

Hey guys,

I’m new to DreamHost. I signed up a couple months back and have gotten my new site up and running. Everything has gone smoothly and I’m happy with the service.

Here’s the problem I’m up against:

I have rebranded my site. I currently have a small site at HostGator and I have redirected all links (via .htaccess) to my new site here at DreamHost. I did this yesterday and have submitted the “change of address” in Google Console.

My bill for HostGator is due next week and I won’t be able to pay it. I’m guessing that if I don’t pay it my 301 redirects will stop working.

This leaves me to migrating the site to DreamHost. The problem is that I have never migrated a site before and I won’t be able to pay the migration fee for DreamHost to do it.

The site only has a couple of pages, but it’s generating 300 visits a day from Google. I don’t want to loose the traffic nor the rankings.

It’s a long shot, but maybe I ask DreamHost to put it on my tab, or maybe they’ll do it for free. As it’s not a full-on migration, it’s a small site where I just want to transfer the redirects.

Worst comes to worst, I’ll have to take a shot at doing it myself. The deadline is next week.

What do you think?

Any suggestions or advice here will be appreciated.

Is that old domain expiring? You’ll need to keep that registration alive for as long as you want the redirects. Where is it registered? If that’s all good, then read on…

Do this for your 301 domain right away:

I hope you have copies of your old domain files at home. If not, get them now. Then do this:

Once that’s all done, update your WHOIS info for the nameserver:

Hey, thanks for your response.

My domain is hosted at Godaddy and has another year on it.

I’m kind of a rookie with all this, but I’ll take a shot at it.

I’ve done the first step.

What files exactly do I download from HostGator?

So the domain you have at godaddy currently references the HostGator nameservers?
You need to add the domain on your DH panel

You need to download the .htaccess file from Hostgator and add it to the hosting at DH

IF - IF all the links on the two sites are identical, rather than htaccess, on DH panel you can set up Domain Mirroring.

1. I’ve added my domain to the DH panel.

2. I’ve downloaded the htaccess file from Hostgator.

3. I’ve added the htaccess file to the domain that I just added to DH using SFTP.

Now all I have to do is change the nameservers at godaddy so they point to DH instead of HG. Correct?

Like I only need the htaccess file, right?

In my htaccess file I have this code at the top:

BEGIN WordPress

RewriteEngine On RewriteBase / RewriteRule ^index\.php$ - [L] RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d RewriteRule . /index.php [L]

END WordPress

And the rest of the file has my redirects. I only need the redirects, so I should delete the code above, Yes?