I'm a Beginner, so I Guess I'm in the Right Place

i have a Joomla-proficient friend who has offered to help me put up a template for a Joomla-centric online forum/ bulletin board.

he recommended Dreamhost.

Question #1
is the format we see here the “default forum software” for Dreamhost ? i understand that there is some PHP and SQL support.

Question #2
if i buy Vbulletin, how does it load ? is it like installing most pieces of software with some sysadmin and file permissions thrown in ?

the initial template we’re going to use has 2-5 categories with approx. 4 sub-categories in each category, just as a template.

i would like to be able to use a “full-featured” software that allows pictures, signatures, emoticons, etc.

i don’t see those here. i’m not sure if that means the bulletin board software that comes with a Dreamhost account (is some basic BB S/W included in the price of purchase, the $280 for 3 years option, for example ?)

thanks a lot for any replies.

[quote]is the format we see here the “default forum software” for Dreamhost ? i understand that there is some PHP and SQL support.
[/quote]
The default forum software for Dreamhost is PHPBB. It is free for DH users. You can simply install it from One-Click install. The installation is very simple. Just select your option from one-click and follow the instruction.

If you want to know more one-click, you can refer to this article.
http://wiki.dreamhost.com/One_Click_Installs
If you want to know more about PHPBB, you can go to PHPBB’s official website
http://www.phpbb.com

I did not use Vbulletin. But I guess it works similarly with PHPBB. If so, the installation package should provides all features. The installation of Vbulletin should not be very difficult. It should be something like:

1. download the open source
  2. upload the open source to yourdomain
  3. create a database before you start installation
  4. run install page to configure the system. (please read the documentation of Vbulletin and find the install page.)
  5. done

PHPBB supports all these and free here :slight_smile:

Save $97 (MAX Discount) with code: [color=#CC0000]97YES[/color] Sign Up NOW or More Codes Here

[quote]Question #1
is the format we see here the “default forum software” for Dreamhost ? i understand that there is some PHP and SQL support.[/quote]
Not at all. This forum is WWWThreads while the one-click forum software supported by dreamhost is phpBB. You’ll find phpBB to be a much richer experience with more customization and plugins available. It’s probably the most often used bulletin board on the web.

[quote]Question #2
if i buy Vbulletin, how does it load ? is it like installing most pieces of software with some sysadmin and file permissions thrown in ?[/quote]
You upload it into your web directory and set everything up through the browser. I’ve set up vBulletin and it’s a breeze to use.

I think you’ll be happy with either vBulletin or phpBB.

Don’t be fooled by the wwwthreads software you see being used for this forum. It’s not at all what dreamhost offers for their clients. This is also an old version of wwwthreads. Not that it matters. :slight_smile:

Hey, we’re glad to be able to help! Welcome to dreamhost.

Extra lifetime domain and $82 off with code [color=#CC0000]1DOM82[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]LM97[/color] for $97 off. More Dreamhost coupons

thanks a lot for the help.

i registered at phpBB and did a test insert with
images.

it doesn’t ask for the URL label when you create
a link. for users who don’t know HTML, to add
the “a href” etc.

Drudge Fudge Sludge Budge Trudge

but that’s a small k’vetch. i think vBulletin
allows it.

anyway, thanks for the help.

I don’t want to pick at a nit here, but in order to prevent any frustration on the part of one who might install the “wwwthreads” software pointed to by that link expecting to see this forum software, you should know that the software at that link is very different the “wwwthreads” that runs this forum. It seems that the “link” in the FAQ for this software “outlived” the original company using that domain at the time this version of “wwwthreads” was published. It’s a bit like “link-rot” in reverse. :slight_smile:

The name is the same, but this software is years old and was written in Perl, while the one presently on offer at the wwwthreads.com is a different beast, written in PHP.

There is an interesting discussion about this software on the Unofficial DreamHost Blog in the “comments” for the post, "DreamHost Discussion Forum 6 Years Today".

The last comment, in particular, details a bit of the history of the “wwwthreads” software, which I think is interesting as a bit of DreamHost historical trivia. :wink:

At any rate, I don’t know where to find the software that runs this forum any more; I suppose it is probably buried out there in the tubes with a lot of other abandoned commercial software.

–rlparker

thanks a lot for pointing out the details.

i’m an engineer, i get paid for being anal-retentive.

my last job, i designed a fixture that tested 10,000
circuit nodes, mixed high-speed digital, RF, and
power. details, i like details.

i like this BB software the most, i’m trying to
find out what it is.

http://www.peakoil.com/fortopic34659.html

that’s a sample web page. not my
favorite forum, but i like the way the
software works.

vBulletin a close second.

phpBB is good, my friend uses it on her
forum at
http://www.theLASIKFlap.com/

but it requires users to know a little more
HTML to use the HREF command to make
a label for a long URL, for example. (i
think).

my JoomLa-proficient friend is big on
Dreamhost, so i’ll probably take his
advice.

Question #3 -
is Joomla bulletin board software, or
more of a stylish template ?

Thanks again for the help.

PhpBB does not need to use html, infact it can be disabled as is recommended to be disabled for the users.
It is safer to use the BBcodes
Instead of:
Drudge Fudge Sludge Budge Trudge

Use
[ url = http://www.drudgereport.com/ ]Drudge Fudge Sludge Budge Trudge[/ url]
Note added in some spaces to display the address as this forum also uses bbcodes as most forum software does.
Silk

My website

Your welcome, and sometimes the “details” do help! :wink:

[quote]i like this BB software the most, i’m trying to
find out what it is.

http://www.peakoil.com/fortopic34659.html[/quote]
According to the FAQ available on that forum it is running phpBB.

Joomla! is a Content Management System (CMS) that provides a framework for many typical website publishing functions. While it does not have a “native” forum or BB component, there are many “add-ons” that provide this capability as “extensions” to the other features of Joomla!.

There are also extensions that allow other common forum/bb software to be “integrated” (to greater or lesser degrees) with the Joomla system in order to share login information, etc.

Joomla! is a lot more than just a forum system, and has hundreds of components available to provide various features. The principle advantages of such a system ideally include a clean separation of content from visual design elements allowing visual design to be changed easily without impacting the database stored content, a method of adding/managing content without the use of traditional FTP tools, the ability to facilitate multiple authors for a site with a managed access control, and much more.

You can learn a lot about Joomla! by visiting their site, and exploring, or by just using the DreamHost provided “one-click” installation system to install a copy for yourself and explore to your hearts content.

http://joomla.org

–rlparker

is this a good time & place to ask for a Promo Code ?

Well, depending upon what you want, it is a very good time to use a promo code if “cash off” is what you are looking for, as the $97 “cash off” codes all expire tomorrow (though, if you need the services, the promo codes with additional domain registrations actually save you more money over time).

You shouldn’t need to “ask” for a promo code though; there are thousands of promo codes littering these forums … just check most sigs :wink:

–rlparker

i was going to ask what promo code to use for a 1 year sign-up, but then i realized that part of programming is being willing to experiment. so i went for the 97 code . . . which brought the 1 year thing to $24 or thereabouts.

is there a catch somewhere ? do you have to pay $1000 if you transfer the account to another host ? (juuust kidding)

that’s the way bank of America operates >:-|

right now it’s doing the “10 minutes to install phpBB” part.

thanks for all the help !

Glad we were all here to help you out!

And no, there’s no catch. Renewal will be $119.40 a year or thereabouts. :slight_smile:

Welcome to Dreamhost!

3 extra lifetime domains and $52 off with code [color=#CC0000]3DOM52[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]LM97[/color] for $97 off. More Dreamhost coupons