If I give Wordpress a whole domain, will it interfere with a php bulletin board (or anything else) on a dedicated subdomain or subfolder?

Hi. I’ve had a number of domains hosted by Dreamhost for several years.

If I install WordPress at [mydomain].com, will it interfere with anything I’ve got on

• a dedicated subdomain, for example if I install phpBB at forum.[mydomain].com, or if I store a bunch of documents at documents.[mydomain].com, or

• a dedicated subfolder, for example if I store a bunch of documents at [mydomain].com/documents/ ?

No , but you’ll need to rewrite some file paths because depending on where your board resides, now you’ll use the new domain name.

You may need to use a couple rewrite rules in Htaccess.

Many thanks for this. But I’m sorry - I don’t understand your advice. What “new domain name”?

Say I install

• WP at [mydomain].com
  • phpBB at forum.[mydomain].com,
  • and I use FTP to upload assorted files to [mydomain].com/documents/.

Where do I have to rewrite file paths if I give the respective addresses to WP and phpBB at the time of installation? Perhaps there is a right order to install those two packages in?

I may well be misunderstanding something major here. I am not a techie.

They won’t interfere with each other. As far as the server is concerned they are totally separate and unrelated entities.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.