I want to move hosting to DreamHost

Hello. Thanks for reading. I want to move my hosting for an active and current domain to DreamHost. I have backed up my database, and backed up all files. So I’m ready to make the move. Can you help me with the next steps?

b I assume I will now buy a hosting plan from DreamHost, but at what point will the world’s DNS servers know to look up my site at the new server address?

(b) Do I need to have cancelled my previous hosting plan with GoDaddy (where the site is currently operational) before starting my sign-up for a dreamhost plan?

© Looking through dreamhost plans, is my cost for the two-year code monster plan really 24 x $15.95 ? Meaning, are their other fees associated with the transfer of domain, initial set up fees, etc?[/b]

Thanks!

Hello! Let’s see if we can’t answer some of your questions:

That will occur after you change the DNS settings for your domain, at your domain registrar, to point to the Dreamhost DNS server (ns1.dreamhost.com, ns2.dreamhost.com, and ns3.dreamhost.com) and the change has been distributed across the internet. Once you make the change at your registrar, it can take from a few minutes to several days for the “update” to be reflected across the whole internet. Some will get the change sooner than others, and there really isn’t too much you can do to speed the process along, so you just need to be patient. With proper planning, however, your site should remain reachable throughout the process (see below).

No. In fact, if you leave the site “functional” at GoDaddy while you set it up at Dreamhost, the site should be reachable from one or the other of the host while DNS is being updated (those browsers receiving the updated DNS lookup will be routed to the Dreamhost site, while those waiting to receive the update will be routed to the GoDaddy site). You can always terminate the GoDaddy hosting a few days later, after all the DNS updates have taken place.

Yes, that really is the price, and you will have no set up fees for the 2-year hosting plan. You will also have no “domain transfer fees” from Dreamhost if you leave your domain registered at GoDaddy, or transfer that single domain to Dreamhost as the registrar. Remember that “hosting” and “registration” are two different services, and can be (they often are!) maintained with two different companies. I suggest leaving the registration with GoDaddy until your new Dreamhost hosting is set up for the reasons described above. You can always transfer it later.

Of course, you could have extra fees if you somehow manage to incur bandwidth or storage overage charges (which is *highly unlikely given the amount of space and traffic Dreamhost provides), but the “price” has no hidden “gotchas”,

You can save additional money on that quoted price by using a Promo Code (they are all over this forum) that will allow you to save up to an additional $97.00 on your first year’s hosting - which makes the deal even better (make sure you sign up with a charge card, and include the Promo Code where it is asked for on the sign-up screen).

Welcome to Dreamhost, and good luck! :slight_smile:

–rlparker

Thanks a bunch. I’m just going to follow the outline of your plan as described. I appreciate your taking the time to write all of this down for me.

Just to add a little to ©:

I do the two-year payment for the extra savings, as you seem to be interested in doing – but if you’re nervous about paying two years up-front with a new company (even though there is a 97-day money back period), you can go with a different schedule and change it later through the panel if you want.

At one point or another, my account has been set at all 3 options.

Not trying to steer you away from the 2-year. Actually, that’s the one I’d recommend. It’s just understandable that people can be nervous about paying that far in advance before they’re comfortable with any company–even if it means extra savings.

:stuck_out_tongue: Save up to $96 at Dreamhost with ALMOST97 promo code (I get $1).
Or save $97 with THEFULL97.

I suggest the 2 year plan. You have 97 days to test the service and ask for a full refund (if you don’t register a domain).

Why do I say this? When I signed up I wasn’t sure if the service would be good, because it was so cheap. So I used a promo code and signed up for 1 year (that cost me less than $23).
But if I had signed up for 2 years, the following years when I have to renew for the full price would be cheaper.
Next time I have to renew, I’ll try asking to change my billing for 2 years, to see if I can get the lower monthly cost…

So you just need to signup, create the accounts for your future sites, upload your content, and only then direct your domain’s DNS to dreamhost.

Best of luck with your staying here :slight_smile:

DreamHost $97 discount code: 97promo «« Check other codes on DreamHost97.com
:slight_smile: All money from 90promo was given to Santa’s Helpers Charity :slight_smile:

There is no need to ask DreamHost, you can change your plan period at any time through the panel. Just go to Billing -> Manage Account and click on the small Edit link next to your current plan.

The plan change is immediate and any prepayment left from your previous purchase is credited to the new plan cost.

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost hosting using promo code [color=#CC0000]SAVEMONEY[/color] ( Click for promo code details )

Travis,

Just a quick “heads up” here. I visited your site as indicated in your profile and noticed that you are running your site on DotNetNuke and are using ASP.

Are you aware that Dreamhost is a *nix environment (Debian Linux) and does not offer .asp hosting (no chilisoft, etc.)?

I just didn’t want you to get deep into the “moving” process only to learn that you cant use Active Server Pages here. If this is “old news” and you have other plans, just ignore me, ok :wink: .

–rlparker

I do have one more question. First of all, thanks to everyone who posted explaining the various dynamics of registration versus hosting, and the strategy for migration to DreamHost.

This last question has to do with wording on the page at the URL dreamhost. c o m/ signup . (This all came about because I actually have three functional domains at GoDaddy. At first I was thinking about migrating one, but might consider more migration.)

Please note that I will draw your attention to the words “first” and “free” on this page.

The URL I just gave is billed as a hosting signup page. You want to sign up for hosting – you go to this page.

The first question (blue text) is “Which hosting plan would you like?” – so we are still talking hosting here. Now before I continue, I understand that if you buy that first-ever hosting plan, then registration of domain for that is fee-waived.

Then below that, we have more blue text, this time “Configure your first hosted domain now…”

To further add stress, we have small black bold text saying “For my first hosted domain…”

OK, so here we are, using these radio buttons now to sign up for a hosting plan for my first hosted domain.

Notice, then, that each radio button below has a description which includes the word “free” and even “I want to host…” and later on that line “You can still register a free domain later.”

OK, if this whole section is described (in three places) as setting up your first hosted domain, and if that first hosted domain always comes with a free reg (now or later), then why add the confusion of " a free domain " in there? Is not the domain we are talking about right now, in this section, THE free domain?

Since this is THE first hosted domain sign-up area, wouldn’t it be better to say “you can still register THIS domain later.”

(The indefinite article “a” in “a free domain” also leads one to wonder where are the other free domains are coming from…)

I wonder if anyone follows me on that…

Well, different people will respond differently to the wording I suppose. The important things to remember, and what might be causing part of the confusion, is that at Dreamhost you can host as many domains as you want (sharing the bandwidth, storage, users, email etc quotas) at no extra charge (“free” with the Plan) and you get one free registration as part of the Plan you sign up for.

The way they have laid it out allows you to set up your “first” domain as either a new domain, a transfer (which will transfer the registration, as hosting only (you set the DNS at the registrar’s site as previously discussed), or use one of ther sub-domains - and they are trying to remind you that if you don’t register a new domain, or transfer a domain (both of which would use your “free” registration) you can still use it later.

They just want to set up your first instance of apache so you will have something ready to go, but don’t want you to feel that you have to transfer the registration of an existing domain, or register a new domain name, in order to receive the “free” domain registration that comes with the Plan.

They don’t mean the indefinite article “a” to infer that there are “others”, only that it is “one” as opposed to “many” - and they might could have worded it better. I think the confusion is more likely the result of “free domain” being confused between “free registration of a domain” and “free hosting of a domain” - on DH, all the “domain hosting” is “free” under a Plan, but the Plan only provides for one “free domain registration”, and you can use it when you initially sign up, or later.

–rlparker

rlparker –

Thanks for your response regarding the clarification of my question having to do with the word “free”. It’s kind of funny that your response actually adds several more layers of obfuscation to how the word “free” is being used in this context. This is not your fault, but it’s clear that you know all the persectives of this host and its outlook towards chargeable plans and even marketing.

With regard to your comment about .ASP – I am aware, yes. I do not plan to use DNN for the commonmancomputing transfer. I am a fan of DNN – it’s easy and accessible for the new website owner, as I was just 8 months ago. But I’ve been hit with Linux love during the last half year and am looking to take advantage of (what I consider to be) its higher versatility as a web serving platform. Moreover I think joomla (and others) offer to me a better CSM for this particular site, which will be my main endeavour as a web presence. I’ll continue to be a supporter of DNN by offering assistance to others who are using it, especially newbies. In fact, one of the main traffic parts of my new forums (on the revamped CommonManComputing) will be to provide support and instructional documentation to XP Home users wanting to deploy local DNN installations on the Cassini Web Server. (Since XP Home users do not have native IIS options.)

DNN has been a great learning tool and start for me personally. I have a second DNN site, by the way, which you may be interested to see. It’s a site that went from just an idea to being a website that was covered and/or contacted by many major news organizations. (By way of demonstrating my experience: http://www.bringhome172nd.org was on the evening national TV news for all three major broadcasting corporations, Newsweek, MSNBC, The Nation, National Public Radio, and countless newspapers. 700,000 pages served in 3 months.) I mention this simply to say that I am enthusiastic about continuing to grow my skills and make new challenges for myself in the world of web design and social web constructs.

Fortunately, there are in this world a lot of people like you who give selflessly to help others without any direct return. I think that is what the web is really good for in a social aspect and I’m trying to increase my part in being helpful, too.

What really has brought me to DreamHost is that my best computing friend has had several sites hosted on DH for more than seven years. His sites have fluidity and beauty and he constantly tells me how DH is a superbly open hosting provider, as opposed to GoDaddy, where their one-click installs end up being a foo of virtual file folders, and no permission to change access protocols on your root, and databases that you (as the db owner) cannot access. (I’m speaking the truth!)

Thanks for the response, and I’m glad to hear that the absence of .ASP is not a “deal breaker” for you. I think you will like Dreamhost very much.

Your friend was right, between the custom DH Control Panel, and access to the shell on a well-configured Debian box, these guys pack a lot of “web-serving” punch into a very low-priced package.

Good Luck!

–rlparker

Mark, thank you very much. If we can do that ourselves, and the discount will be automatically calculated, that’s great!

As for the “free” confusion, the funny thing is that I usually never use the free domain registrations my host give me. I prefer to have everything separated…

And regarding Godaddy, they may be ok as a Registrar, and I’ve spend more than $1000 with them, but if you need webhosting, choose a company that makes a flag product out of that, not a secondary by product.

DreamHost isn’t perfect, but it’s much, much better than Godaddy. We can’t even compare…

DreamHost $97 discount code: 97promo «« Check other codes on DreamHost97.com
:slight_smile: All money from 90promo was given to Santa’s Helpers Charity :slight_smile: